Intel MB broken? (boot logo question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ateneo

Beta member
Hi:

I got an Intel Desktop Board D945GCNL and installed a Pentium D 925 processor, thing that i did wrong cos then i checked the CPU support list and the processor is not supported (only 930), but the system booted the same way. I could notice this because fans (cpu and chassis) behave annormally. Then i put a Core 2 DUO E4500 wich is in the support list, but i have some questions:

- The board is extreamely hot. When i touch the chipset disipator its really hot. The same happens with the cards inside the board. Anyway the fans now work normally.

- It is supposed that i have to see the "Core 2 DUO logo" in boot screen, since the MB detects it and put the logo there, but i only see the intel logo letters with a white background. I have tried resetting the BIOS by all methods but still that logo there.

The Intel site and manuals say that "the board can be demeged if i install an unsupported processor". Actually i can run well any OS and game. Well my questions is: Is the board really demaged? What about this logo issue?.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

It's alright for the chipset heatsink to be hot. As long as your system is not experiencing problems due to overheating, then it is okay.

It is not important to have a Core 2 Duo logo appear in the POST splash screen. As long as the BIOS and Windows recognises the Core 2 Duo E4500 processor correctly, then there's no problem. You can use a program like CPU-Z to verify this.

For peace of mind, and to just keep up to date, you could update your BIOS to the latest version (version 0020) if it's not up to date already. It can be downloaded here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/fil...rofessional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go!#BIO . However, if your system identifies your processor properly, and it is working correctly, then it's not advised to perform a BIOS update, since it's somewhat risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom