Intel Core i5 2500K idle temps - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2011, 01:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Intel Core i5 2500K idle temps

So, I just finished putting together my new computer (in the case and everything). I went to turn it on and it booted up just fine. I went into the BIOS (because I do not have an OS loaded yet) and I found that my CPU temps are already 37*C. This is right on start up and without 1 side of the case.

This is the i5 2500K CPU without it being clocked.

I am not using the stock cooler, I am using this aftermarket heatsink: - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

I am, however, using the stock thermal paste that came with the heatsink. I used the spread method to apply the paste.

Does BIOS normally read temps a little high, or is this temp just fine?

Old 11-14-2011, 07:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: Intel Core i5 2500K idle temps

The cpu temp in the bios is not the actual cpu temperature. It is from a sensor located on the mobo directly below the cpu. If you want to monitor your cpu temperatures then you should use a program like HWMonitor or RealTemp. Your cpu temps will be displayed for each core (core0, core1, core2, core3).

The spread method of apply thermal paste is not recommended, it isn't a consistent method. Sometimes it works OK and sometimes it doesn't.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Re: Intel Core i5 2500K idle temps

Thanks Slaymate.

Just used realtemp and I'm showing an average of 26*C, which makes me feel a lot better. Still feel cool air coming from the back exhaust fan after having it running for ~4 hours.
Closed Thread