Installs going VERY slowly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

marinebro0306

Solid State Member
Hi,
I am having a problem with my hard drive (I think). Whenever I go to install a program, it takes forever. I'm trying to install Macromedia Dreamweaver 8, but it is taking a very long time. To see if it was my computer or the program, I downloaded a Virtual DJ Trial (just to install, 18mb), and it says it will take 22 minutes to finish, with simple txt's and dll's taking about 5-10 seconds. However, when copying and pasting files within windows explorer, it works fine, maybe a little slower than usual, but not drastic. I have no system restore points, HijackThis came up clean, and BitDefender and Norton scans show no viruses. Also, I took out most of the processes running in the task manager. Does anyone know the problem?

Thanks!

Specs:
Dell Dimension 8400
Maxtor 6L160MO
1 gig ram
ATI Radeon x800

ya it's a dell :p.

no it sounds like you're right. hard drive problem is up there but it could be many other factors as well. how much virtual memory is being taken up? if you have nothing running except windows it should be low 100s at most. also, did u reformat recently or put in/take out a part from you're computer.

if you're installing from a cd then it could be the cd drive too. but it wouldnt do the same then from a download. there are many other things to consider. anyways answer the questions i asked and we can go from there

ahh, it probably is the hdd. freaking maxtors, i swear every maxtor ive ever had has cut out on me by the first year. since my 4th hdd went out, i just switched to western digital. never had a problem (excluding the fact that once it only displayed 32gb on the disk, but i got that fixed ^_^)

I fixed it, all my partitions had the "allow indexing" thing checked. This was probably caused by a folder locking program that I had to make extra use of my fingerprint reader.

Thanks anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom