Installing NEW SATA as master and OLD IDE as slave

Status
Not open for further replies.

staterunner180

Beta member
I have a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop. And before a couple days ago it only had a 40GB IDE hard drive with Ubuntu 10.04 install on it. So I ordered a 640GB SATA Western Digital HD and installed it. At first I had a little trouble getting to install Ubuntu on the SATA but I finally got it, but for some reason my IDE wont show up in BIOs. I have the power connector in all the way and I have it connected on the HD DRIVE 2 connector on the ribbon (slave) but it wont show up in BIOs as either primary or secondary IDE hard drive. it just says unknown device even after i reboot. and if i try to boot onto Ubuntu (on the SATA) it says "Primary drive 1 not found" if i have the primary set to 'auto' in bios, and it says "primary drive 0 not found" if i try to boot into Ubuntu when i have secondary drive set to 'auto' in BIOs. but it still can boot into Ubuntu if i hit F1 (continue) but the IDE just wont show up in Ubuntu. I just want to get some pictures and music off the IDE. any help?

*FIXED* i just connected the HD DRIVE 1 end of the ribbon to the IDE and it automatically was shown in BIOs. and it booted right to the SATA Ubuntu, where i got what i needed and then formatted the IDE. This thread may now be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom