Installing new card - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 07-08-2008, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Installing new card

I just bought a 9600GT to replace my 7600GS, this is on a m7500e HP PC. I had no idea it couldnt support a high profile card, so we filed down the video card bracket and got it to fit, and everything seems to be connected right we hooked up the 6 Pin Power connector and the fans spinning and the card is definetley powered on. But I cant seem to get video on it, and Windows is not picking it up just the integrated video card. help please

Old 07-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Default Re: Installing new card

I'm assuming you just filed down the metal bracket, not the card itself. We don't need a repeat of that....

Make sure that the PCI-E slot is set as the main option in your BIOS, some times that option can reset itself with a new card and it will detect only the integrated chip. Also make sure the card is fit snugly into the pci-e slot and the back end *clicks* into place and it's pushed down as far as it will go (firm but gentle, don't break it!).

What are the specs on your psu by the way? I'm assuming it's like 250 watts but I don't know the amps. It's possible it's not providing enough power and you may need a new one. Post the watts/amps or if you don't know them you can post a pic of the sticker that's on the power supply.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yup just the metal haha, and yes its set to PCI-E , I have a Thermaltake 430watt PSU , and the card it is connected but I have a question about the 6 pin connector, I only hooked up one into the Card and it was connected to the Motherboard also, it came with another 6 pin and molex connector. The powersupply is a Truepower or something 430Watt bought it on newegg a few months back
Old 07-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
I can't brain today

the truepower PSU is a good brand, you probably should have enough wattage with that to power the 9600GT.

If the card has two power connecter's then I would hook up both if that is what you are saying (Not familiar with the 9600GT, so unsure whether it has two power connectors or not)
Old 07-08-2008, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well i've never really had a strong enough card to have to hook any power connectors up so this is my first time, i just looked for a 6pin connector, and it seemed like it was connected to my motherboard near my processor. It came though with a 6 pin and two white connectors I havent used them, my computer is extremely loud though
Old 07-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to wafflehammer

are you saying you took the CPU power cord and plugged it into your video card?

....i thought CPU power cords where 4 pin anywa?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well, i just used the connectors they gave me and unplugged the one 6pin was useing, it did power up, but still no video, I double checked my BIOS and still on PCI-E for primary adapter

Still nothing, here is the card - MSI N9600GT-T2D512 GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards The only thing ive used with those connectors is the 6 pin as of now, in the screenshots do you see anything else I would have to use or plug in.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Private Joker

Looked up your PC on HP's site, and found the motherboard specs (and a pic of it); Is this the plug that you removed?

If so, then you need to plug that back in.
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 07-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

lol nope I didnt unplug that, but when I pulled the 6 pin adapter the first one that was already inside the PC From behind my cd/dvd drivers It seemed like it was pulling from that maybe they're just tangled all of my temps and everything seem normal, Oh and im running Vista 32bit , just reformatted to today before the card arrived.

Do you think maybe it has something to do with my Monitor to the Adapter on the Card, they're are Two blue connectors on the back of it look exactly the same, I used the adapter they gave me to connect my monitor to the card and have tried both slots

Anyone have an idea?

Closed Thread