Installing IDE CD Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm ok. I'll try to look for one...would just a small, rubber surrounded wire connecting both pins work if i can't find it? :D

I would just use cable select. The jumper configuration is not really a standard, I've seen drives that don't follow the same jumper layout so the best thing would be to look at the drive label or circuit board (sometimes the pins are printed on the circuit board by the header).

The SATA drives should not have any affect whatsoever on IDE configurations, they're driven by a different controller. The master/slave configuration is a per-controller thing (one IDE port may have two devices, a master and a slave). Many IDE drives assume Cable Select when there are no jumpers, but to be honest if you're only hooking up one drive it doesn't matter what mode the drive is set to (Master, Slave, and CS all work for a single drive).

If the drive is plugged in fine (noting the orientation of the IDE ribbon plug, don't connect it upside down, some older cables don't have the tab molded in) and powers up, the only other thing I can think of is the IDE controller may be disabled in the BIOS. Since IDE isn't as popular in new builds, they may have defaulted the IDE controller to off to save power/boot time. Go into your BIOS and look through the integrated peripherals or onboard features pages and find the IDE controller settings. Tell it to autodetect master and slave and make sure the controller is enabled.

lol. Okay...apparently it already has a jumper on Cable Select...then I realized I just hadn't plugged in the IDE cable to the motherboard all the way.. (it's difficult to get my hands in there :/ )

Anyway. It is registered by the BIOS now and Windows7 sees it...but only some CD's work...like Call of Duty 1 and World at War doesn't register...but some do.. ?

lol. Okay...apparently it already has a jumper on Cable Select...then I realized I just hadn't plugged in the IDE cable to the motherboard all the way.. (it's difficult to get my hands in there :/ )

Anyway. It is registered by the BIOS now and Windows7 sees it...but only some CD's work...like Call of Duty 1 and World at War doesn't register...but some do.. ?

Well then.... hard to fix your problem when youi don't plug things in right :tongue:

Glad its sorta up, you might need to clean the drive, or its starting to go. A new sata drive is 25 bucks btw.

Clean the lens (take the drive apart and wipe it with a Q-tip or something) but if that doesn't work a new SATA DVD burner (DVD+/- R/RW DL, CDR/RW Lightscribe) is only $25-30, my LG burner cost $30 and does everything. The lack of ugly ribbon cables is another plus.

Well, I cleaned some parts (the easy to get ones). Every CD works now (Although...a few that I tried out were DVD's ...and I didn't realize that the drive didn't play DVD's)...thank for all the help.. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom