installing 1.5gb ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

poetry8

Baseband Member
hi guys, when i bought my pc it had 512mb of ram, a few weeks ago i brought another 512 so now i have a gig. today i went and brought another 512 but when i slotted it in, my operating system wouldnt start,the pc starts but it says there was an error and asks me either to start in safe mode,last known good configuration or normally, no matter which i choose i just get a blank black screen. my motherboard is an msi amethyst-m and msi website says it supports 4gb,i have 3 sticks of ram, they are all 512mb pc3200 184pin. what do i need to do to get it to work with 1.5gb instead of 1gb?

First, check your motherboard and make sure the memory configuration is proper. (The motherboard may require you to use a 1Gb + a 512 stick rather than 3 512s in order to work properly with 1.5Gb)

Sometimes, with that big a change, Windows wants to revalidate.

Maybe your video card uses some of the RAM, and maybe it needs some settings changed in the BIOS.

sometimes the mobos that have 4 slots require you to fill them in a certain order. ie. if you only have one stick, you use the slot on the far left or something. check to see if you need to try that.

hi thank you for your replys. but the situation has now changed, i just brought another 512 from ebay. so i have four 512 sticks all are non ecc unbuffered pc3200 400MHz 184pin. my motherboard has four slots,each slot supports 1gb. i have put all four sticks in but when i boot up i dont get anything but beeps. why could this be?

no the memory works fine i have tested it, it is a crucial 512 pc32000,and i have a second identical stick(made by crucial) and then i have two pny branded 512 3200's. when i install 1 crucial and 1 pny it works with 1gig, when i use 2 crucial it works fine as 1gig, when i use 2 pny it works fine as 1gig but wen i put them all in together i have problems and my pc wont boot. i have just took a closer look and realised that both the crucial sticks are double sided and the pny(which are both identical) are single sided. could this be the problem,i just read something bout dual channel. can i turn it off if this may be the problem? thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom