Installed new SSD, secondary HDD not recognized now?

braz

Daemon Poster
I just installed my new Intel 330 240gb SSD and I am using a 1TB regular hard drive as secondary storage. Both of them are plugged into the SATA3 slots on my motherboard, but the HDD I realized is in the first sata spot (0) and the SSD is the second spot (1), does this matter? When installing windows I could see both hard drives, but now I do not see it in windows. Any advice? Should I move the HDD to a different SATA slot? Also, in my BIOS it is set to AHCI. I also cannot see my HDD in my BIOS when changing the boot order, but I can see it in the storage section of my BIOS.

Every time I boot the computer it does the disk check thing that you can press any key to skip.

Please help! Thanks guys!

*UPDATE*
I am beginning to wonder if it was because I installed windows on the SSD with my HDD plugged in. I was reading that it can cause issues. I went to the disk management and was able to assign a letter to my HDD that I could not see. When I explored it, it had a windows$ file on it. I am going to format both and unplug the HDD until the SSD is all set up.

MY IDEA WORKED! WOO! This can be closed :D

Last edited:
So for future reference. Install windows on SSD before plugging in option HDD otherwise the setup becomes corrupt resulting from the files being installed in the wrong directory/drive? I guess windows won't auto-configure the SSD as the default primary?

Yeah basically. I had to inplug the HDD, do a fresh install on the SSD and then plug in my HDD once windows was all configured and setup. Also, make sure AHCI is enabled in your BIOS in order for your drive to work! Windows boots in under 5 seconds now, love it!

I have been able to install windows 7 on the SSD with three hard drives with no problem with install. So that is kind of strange.

Back
Top Bottom