Installed new RAM, windows didn't recognized it...? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Installed new RAM, windows didn't recognized it...?

I just got some RAM in the mail today for an old laptop of mine (Acer Aspire 5334).. I got 2GB of DDR3 10600 to double my already 2GB of ram in the computer. (I checked crucial, the laptop hold 4GB total). I installed it correctly, popped it in, it's sitting in there sturdy but my computer says im still running 2GB?

What happened?

I've changed memory on a ton of computers/laptops but never encountered a problem with it. Is it dead RAM or could it just be the laptop..?

Edit - the 2GB stick already in the computer is DDR 3 10600S... the new ram isn't "S" but i never heard of that not working together (I also never heard of 10600S though either)?

Old 02-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: Installed new RAM, windows didn't recognized it...?

Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit windows?

Use cpu-z from to double check.

Foldie = i7 950@ 4.0Ghz Gigabyte x58a-ud3r EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 3x2gb OCZ Gold Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

Old 02-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

The only thing I found was this.

It looks like it's some designation of how the chips are installed on the PCB. It's either single sided, or single chips on each side. If you can, take a picture of the ram chips (one of each, the stock and the crucial) and we can look at them to verify if that is indeed what the S stands for. I can't imagine that it would cause an issue because that article says a mix is what servers should run. Run just the crucial and see if that ram posts and works and all that, and then that should answer your question of if it's a compatibility issue.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Just left Geek Squad; my Bios was outdated. They updated it for free and now my computer recognizes the extra 2GB. Thanks anyways guys & thanks Geek Squad!
Closed Thread