Installed new motherboard - 'reboot/select proper boot device/insert boot media' prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

raykwok

Solid State Member
Ok I installed a new motherboard(asus p5kpl-cm) and intel processor. I tried to boot up the computer on my old hd, at first the mobo didn't recognize either the hd or cdrom and was saying 'reboot or select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device ad press a keep'. I put in my windows xp pro cd, it doesn't recognize it, I've changed the bios boot order, nothing different, I even dug up a windows me floppy boot disk. nothing.

I then rewired it to the other cd drive and rebooted it, it found both my hd and cd driver. It then brought me to the select safe mode, and all that, I've selected every option on the list and everytime the screen would just go blank and the computer would reboot itself. I then decided to go out and buy another HD. I plug it into the same exact spot as my old HD and now it's giving me the 'reboot or select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device ad press a keep' thing again. I put in my windows xp pro cd, it doesn't recognize it, I've changed the bios boot order, nothing different, I even dug up a windows me floppy boot disk. nothing.

please help me!

Re: Installed new motherboard - 'reboot/select proper boot device/insert boot media'

You won't be able to boot to an old XP installation just by putting the old HDD in there. You say you put in your XP pro CD and it didn't recognise it but what boot order did you have at the time?

Re: Installed new motherboard - 'reboot/select proper boot device/insert boot media'

are we talking about sata or ide drives here?

big wide cable or small generally red cables?

IDE drives, and I've put the windows xp pro cd in with every boot combination possible, started with cd-hd-floppy, cd-floppy-hd, hd-cd-floppy, and when I tried the window me floppy boot disk, I put floppy first. I put the windows xp pro cd in this computer and everything works fine. it auto loads and everything. I just put the old HD back in, now what?

Make sure the jumpers are set as cable select for the ide drives or master if it is at the end and slave if it is on the middle connection.

Are they showing in bios?

they cd driver has to be in at the end of the cable and the hd is in the middle, if I put the hd as the master it just doesn't show up on my bios

Yes but how do you have the jumpers set on each of the two drives?
08-optical-jumper.jpg

yes everything is on as it should be, i only installed the mobo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom