Installed new fans, case running hotter??

Status
Not open for further replies.

KojiInari

Baseband Member
So I've been worried about how hot it's been around here lately (I don't have air conditioning and it gets 90 in my apartment in the summer). I noticed that for a while my poor computer's internal temps were not happy with these conditions (going up a 10 degree Celsius increase during the heatwave) so to compensate, I bought a couple more case fans and installed them. Around the same time, I also bought a second harddrive.

Problem is, since installing the fans the temperature has gone up in the case, but only on my graphics card. Everything else went down a good 5 degrees.

The temperature outside is back to normal (my apartment is like 65 right now) so I can't blame the weather.

The only change to the case that I made was putting in another SATA cable to connect the second harddrive (and on my mobo, the sata cable input sits right underneath my graphics card fan) however I can't see a single cord adding enough blockage of air to cause a problem...especially not with a large side-window fan newly installed next to the card.

Here are the specs for my computer, I hope someone can help, The card is idling at 58 degrees Celsius, rather than the 41 it used to be at. I know it's not a huge temperature, but it seems a little high for having 7 120 cm case fans and 1 200cm top fan.
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 140W Quad-Core Processor

Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active Power Supply

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Harddrive

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

New additions:
A new harddrive I cannibalized from a friend's dead computer:
Maxtor Diamondmax 10 100GB SATA 6L100MO SATA Hard Drive

2 case fans, one installed in the side window, and one installed in the back of the first harddrive bay (my harddrives are installed in the bottom tray, not with the one with the fan on it):
2 Rosewill RFA-120-BL 120mm 4 Blue LEDs LED Case Fans

Other info:
Here is the temperature chart according to speedfan and Open Hardware monitor:
Untitled-1-8.jpg

How are the fans positioned? The top and front fans should blow cool air into the case. The back fan(s) should blow the air out of the case. The CPU heatsink fan should be positioned to the back of the case. Make sure there is no dust in your GPU heatsink's fan, or any other fan for that matter. You might need to reapply thermal paste on your GPU.

The top should NOT blow in.

Heat rises, so why would you stuff it back in?
There is only 1 back fan so he'd have every fan blowing in and 1 small out.... Right stupid setup.

Make sure the HD caddy one is blowing in, but you'd be surprised how a little change to airflow can increase the temp. I'm betting you just slightly blocked the airflow.

Indeed it can, when I read your post just now I thought it said a lack of sheep :lol:

Top fan (the 200mm) is blowing out, as is the default with the case, front three fans blowing in, rear 2 fans blowing out, side fan blowing out, and internal fan mounted on the backside of the harddrive cage blowing in. Minor dust on the Graphics card fan that I cleaned off easily. (fan on that facing down, as that's the only way you can put the card in). CPU fan located in the rear and running normal as there really is only one way to put it on... (using the fan that came with the processor)

Took out the extra harddrive and the temp on the card seems to be staying at an idle temp of 40 C..... only rising to 43 when I start up a game. (Speedfan is showing my CPU jumping to 256C and staying there, but I think that's a false reading, my computer would have shut down).

I honestly did not think a single component would pull my heat up 18 degrees Celcius...am I missing something here or is that normal? If so, I'd hate to see what I'd be running at with the drive bays maxed (3 cages that fit 3 drives each)

EDIT:
Scratch that, the temp is back up after running for about 20 minutes. Not as bad as before, but 50 idle is makin' me a little wierded out. Temp wasn't this high until I installed the new fans.... The side fan is supposed to blow out yes? Not in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom