Installed CD-Rom, now DVD-RW not recognized? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Installed CD-Rom, now DVD-RW not recognized?

I have a LG GSA-4166B (DVD-RW drive), and a Memorex 48MAX 244816AJ (CD/DVD-ROM). I had the LG installed, working fine. I wanted to back up some DVDs, so I installed the Memorex drive, and set the jumpers correctly. (LG on Master, Memorex on Slave) I went to boot up and now I had a working CD/DVD-Rom, and a non recognized DVD-RW. It's recognized as a GWA-4566B, no reason why it should be recognized as that. I checked the BIOS and it is recognized in the BIOS correctly, but when I boot up I get a glimpse at the post screen, and I see a lot of '$' signs, that I have never seen before. It is in the area where my optical drives are shown, but it's too quick for me to see what the signs are by.

Update : Got the 'pause/break' to work so I could get a longer look at it. In the post screen where it says the IDE drives, the drive is recognized as a GSE-4166F $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ 1.06 $ $ $

In the BIOS, it displays the model and version correctly?

Old 03-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: Installed CD-Rom, now DVD-RW not recognized?

I don't know why the drive is being incorrectly recognized... but you could still backup those dvd's with just the LG drive. You don't need two drives to backup / copy / burn a dvd to another dvd drive. The software will just temporarily burn the data to a temp folder, once burned it will ask you to put in the other disk and you're ready to go.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Installed CD-Rom, now DVD-RW not recognized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexluethar View Post
I don't know why the drive is being incorrectly recognized... but you could still backup those dvd's with just the LG drive. You don't need two drives to backup / copy / burn a dvd to another dvd drive. The software will just temporarily burn the data to a temp folder, once burned it will ask you to put in the other disk and you're ready to go.
Yeah, I just wanted to get it done quicker. That way I didn't have to copy the DVD, then put another DVD in, and burn it. Looks like that's the way I'll be doing it though.
Closed Thread