Installed all new components, HDD is now acting up on booting, help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
Yeah so i finally got my new RAM in today. I am able to go into BIOS n everything. Biggest issue im facing right now is that my system will NOT boot up to the Log In screen. When i try to run normally or thru Safe Mode, it will not do it. A few times i would get a quick flicker of a BSOD, but it is too quick for me to even know what the error is. This is driving me insane n im thinking of doing my last resort to buy an external HDD n back up my HDD n try reinstalling Windows 7 n possibly RMA my HDD for a new one. It is only two yrs old.

Right now, i have it in a docking station hooked up to a laptop n did 'check disk' n have it set for 'Automatically fix file system errors'. It looks like it found some n fixed it already as of this post. I am going to try to boot off it in my new PC again n post back some results.

A big question i have is why is it that when i replaced the mobo, ram, cpu, n gpu that my PC still wouldnt boot correctly?

I haven't been following your troubleshooting progress.
I do not know if you used the same motherboard or CPU or not.
if not, when you replaced your motherboard it is most likely you have to re-install windows. same with CPU.

I haven't been following your troubleshooting progress.
I do not know if you used the same motherboard or CPU or not.
if not, when you replaced your motherboard it is most likely you have to re-install windows. same with CPU.

In a nutshell, my MSI K9A2 Platnium mobo n 3870 x2 GPU card was the culprit for causing my PC problems n finally died on me n it seems to of cause a booting issue with my HDD. I bought new parts n tested everything n sent them back for refunds. All that u see in my signature is brand new, except Win7, Tower case, HDD, n PSU.

I believe my HDD is still thinking it's linked to my old setup with that old mobo including my old Phenom II x4 940 n is derping n wont run properly. I have also found out that w/ this new mobo, ASUS Crosshair V Formula, is freezing on me sometimes when i enter in BIOS n do whatever. Could it be my HDD causing the problem? Idk.

What I've found out using SeaTools n testing out my 1TB HDD is that it is very healthy in everyway, just in the booting process it is derping on me. I will be calling customer service for the ASUS mobo and Seagate HDD n get help about my problem.

Last question, is re-installing the OS on a brand new mobo n CPU require me to go thru customer service of Microsoft just to get another activation?

if you have different hardware from your initial windows installation, you have to reinstall windows.
speaking from experience, I had problems with just swapping a dual core cpu to a quad core cpu.

freezing in BIOS - No idea, could be a different issue altogether.

if you have OEM windows key, you most likely have to go through their customer service.
in my experience, it wasn't a big deal though. all I had to do was key in a couple LONG number codes. and it was all automated.
if you had retail key, I believe you can use the key on up to 3 computers without having to phone in for activation. (don't get me wrong, you can only have 1 active installation at any given time.)

if you have different hardware from your initial windows installation, you have to reinstall windows.
speaking from experience, I had problems with just swapping a dual core cpu to a quad core cpu.

freezing in BIOS - No idea, could be a different issue altogether.

if you have OEM windows key, you most likely have to go through their customer service.
in my experience, it wasn't a big deal though. all I had to do was key in a couple LONG number codes. and it was all automated.
if you had retail key, I believe you can use the key on up to 3 computers without having to phone in for activation. (don't get me wrong, you can only have 1 active installation at any given time.)

Swapping out CPUs wasnt an issue for me in the past.

The freezing in BIOS is an issue that i will ask ASUS about tomorrow morning.

My OS is OEM, so yeah i would have to call customer service. How long is the process to get a new activation key well at least thru ur experience?

I think 10 minutes at most?

That makes me feel better inside :). I've been working out my PC problems since i woke up today. Backing up all my Steam games. Forgot to mention that im currently booting off this 1TB HDD thru a laptop. So yeah, just have to back up the old fashion way again.

I also have to bug Sapphire to RMA my HD 3870 x2 because it has lifetime warranty n i already registered it yrs ago. They now give their products 2 yrs warranty but mine said lifetime.......so we r going to run into an issue here for sure.

newegg is not always accurate with specification.

but I have the same grudge against Zotac. my board said lifetime warranty. now they are saying they only provide 2 years of warranty on my board.

*note, I made my purchase way way before they had setup the domain zotacusa.com. when I registered for my motherboard, I had to e-mail them to register my product. that's right, manual registration, someone actually e-mailed me back to confirm my registration. when I made the purchase, their global website says LIFETIME warranty, and I was expecting to receive lifetime warranty support. mother****ers... I am not going to buy zotac ever again.

no, that's not what I am saying.
I was just venting really.

and also reminding you that newegg is not always accurate with product information. in case that's where you got the lifetime warranty from.

for example, creative offer 1 year warranty on nearly all of their sounds cards. however, look at the reviews for this card, see how many reviewers mention 5 year warranty? I e-mailed in to newegg webmaster to notify them of this error. I feel sorry for people buying the sound card thinking it has 5 year warranty.

if you have proof of your card carrying lifetime warranty, by all means, fight for it.
file a compliant with the BBB, or take them to small claims court.
I do not have proof, zotac removed the warranty information from their global website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom