Installation of Win. XP Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeXx15

Baseband Member
Hey guys, i have a problem with my computer i am so out of ideas what this may be caused by. I am trying to fresh install Windows XP but it gives me and error that 0x0000007b saying that i need to check my harddrive for errors. So i did and nothing came up, i also checked the CHKDSK /F it didnt find anything. So i formated my harddrive....and STILL the same problem!!! So i go out and buy a small 40gb Harddrive and i try to install windows xp on it. So i disconnect my old HDD and put in this new one... and i get that SAME ERROR!!! Its getting me very ****ed off!! please guys help me...

System Specs...
Windows XP SP2...well use to be now i have no windows lol
2GB
GeForce 7900 GTX
Pentium 3.00 GHZz
160GB Western Digital Caviar HDD
40GB Western Digital HDD

k thanks guys..

First try replacing the data cable assuming those are ide drives there. If you are using the typical flat ribbon type those get hardened up and even see intermittency after a period of time.

Besides visually inspecting the disk for finger mark and scratches try running a lens cleaner to see if that helps if the drive's lens isn't going on you. Another thing would be a possible need to update the bios if the bios was losing some programming there.

Uhh here is the cable i am using....this is my 40GB harddrive attached to it... and some other stuff in my pc :)
dont worry it is connected to the power supply u can't see i tho...but yea here it is

Now to make sure the cable is plugged in all the way at the board end and make sure the drive's jumper is set to master since that is at the end of the cable there. The power plug is plainly visible.

Generally Asus throws in a good cable with their boards but there's always one or two new ones that are no good to start off with. I just can't resist those Antec Cobra round cables despite the shipping cost usually seen on them. ANTEC 77238 Antec Cobra Cable A36UV-W ATA-133 - IDE / EIDE cable - UDMA 66/100/133 - 40 pin IDC (F) - 40 pin IDC (F) - 2.2 ft ( )

I dont see any jumpers on the pins. Are you susposed to have it set to either master slave OR cable select? Usually you do with Western Digital but im not sure.

On prebuild systems the drives provided usually lack a jumper pin and remain cable select for easy replacement or upgrade. On a custom build you would set it to master on the end of the cable. If you are missing the jumper... OOPS! That will throw you off unless that drive was intended for a prebuild.

okay so i need to put in a jumper..right? Where do i get a jumper and how do I put it on?

and these are ...enhanced IDE drives...both of em
Here are the model names and stuff about them

160GB HDD- Model:WD1600JB-22GVCO Caviar SE - Enhanced IDE Hard Drive 160GB

40GB HDD- Model-WD400BB-75DEA0 Caviar - Enhanced IDE Hard Drive 160GB

and i found that i have 2 back up Jumpers and 2 back up...band cables... look
so...where would i put the jumpers...If i want to install WinXP on the 40GB and just music,games,movies just general entertainment on 160GB so that means that the 40GB is the master? and the 160GB is the slave? so when do i put the jumpers? here are the extras i found (cables and jumper)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom