Input devices wont work

Status
Not open for further replies.

davesutton

Solid State Member
Hi
I have had a problem running new DVD burning software. hen installed the computer could not find the Cv player or DVD burner. i was getting error message code 41 for cd player and code 19 for dvd burner. In trouble shooter i found out this is a problem with regedt32 and was advised to do the following

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.
7. Restart your computer.

On doing this all the input devices - Mouse and keyboard now will not operate......

Please help..

I have two folders on the desktop that i dont want to lose if i need to do a restore..

Please help..

Dave

Do a windows repair: Put your XP install cd in your cdrom and configure your bios to boot to CD rom. Hit any key to boot form cd and enter setup. when promted do the windows repair. You will need to reinstall all your hardware drivers but your desktop will remain intact. Rule #1. Never ever ever ever keep folders on the desktop without backing them up!!!! Never run your system with the OS in the same partition on a single hd puter and, as far as I am concerned, always build your system wiht two hd's and always ghost your system! (norton ghost).

I suggest getting a live boot linux disk, like Knoppix. It's free. Have somebody burn it for you, then retrieve any files you want.

In case you've never worked with a live OS before, the premise is that you can just stick in a CD and boot from it without using the hard drive at all. It's a fully functional OS and has lots of useful tools, etc. I've used it countless times to download fixes for viruses that were restricting access to the internet.

Dan

I have now sorted the problem. The computer supplier did not supply discs with the computer but have a repair partition on the hd. i used this to restore the computer. I am now backing up all my file. Thanks for the help.

I am posting a new request for help as i am now back to square one regarding the source of the problem. I have not got any DVD burning software, when i install some e.* nero the computer loses the dvd burner and cd drive. It retains the driver but cant locate the unit. i would be greatful for any advise that anyone can offer..

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom