Inexplicably freezing - Please Help... - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 06:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Inexplicably freezing - Please Help...

Yeah, I'll switch the SATA cables I used, because they did look different, maybe the one I hooked up the Maxtor with was a slave. I also put the Maxtor drive cable in a different looking SATA port, one down at the bottom. Not sure if that would prevent it from being a master or not.

Well, I'm using the Seagate right now and no problems. This problem is kind of erratic. I think the less I access the HD, the less frequently it crashes (so I think the HD's the problem). One test that worked was the Medieval 2 install, failed twice on Seagate, did fine on the Maxtor. I'll try to install it again on the Seagate, see if it crashes again. Or download something.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

Definitely get it replaced/RMA'd. Since it is still brand new, there shouldnt be a problem.

I have just rescently bought a WD 640G caviar black drive and made sure to run tests on it. Only reason i bought it was because one of my old, old WD 120G drives would lock up in windows. Replaced the drive and all is well. The 32mb cache is nice as well

Old 02-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
True Techie

Yeah, I'm thinking it's the hard drive. No problems when booting from this old Maxtor. I don't have the Seagate plugged in at all.

I hope a diagnostic turns up some errors, so I can definitely use the warranty without a problem.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
True Techie

Well, I just hooked the Seagate back up, and it's booting as a slave now like I wanted it to. I downloaded Seatools, and ran a few tests on the Seagate. I ran the short drive self test, short generic test, and long generic test. It passed the shorts, and failed the long generic test right off the bat. So this, aside from the problems that only happen when booting from this drive, should be enough for a nice, safe replacement right?

Closed Thread