Incompatible Ram Question on MSI P6N Sli-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shafra

In Runtime
Hello All, recently purchased an MSI P6N Sli Fi motherboard. In another post I had some help and determined that the ram I purchased below:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

I picked up some Kingston ram at a local retail store and the system booted right up. What I would like to know, since I've never ran into a total ram incompatibility is:

1. Should I try to put the G.skill in now and see if it will be detected while the Kingston is also in it?
2. The motherboard recomends ram at 1.8v which the G.skill is, it ranges 1.8v-2.0v according to the NewEgg site. Would up'g the voltage to the ram, and popping the G.skill in possibly make the PC boot?

Just trying to figure out if I should just RMA the ram which looks to be good quality ram at a good price, or if I can make it work. I just do NOT want to damage the current ram or any other hardware in the process.

This is the part # off my current 512MB stick of kingston ram.
KVR533D2/512R

On a side note, if anyone has this motherboard and knows some good quality ram that WILL work and post, please feel free to link it, and if you can do a Newegg link even better :)

Thanks for the help!

You could try it to see if it works. It wont hurt anything. Worst that can happen is no post. Then just remove them..

It wouldn't post with the G.skill ram in it and Kingston. I up'd the voltage to 1.9v and removed the Kingston and popped in a G.skill and still no post.

Is it worth trying 2.0 volts on this ram? I just don't want to fry my Kingston chip :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom