Inaccessable boot device

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrazjr

Beta member
I reformatted my HD and reinstalled Windows onto my slave drive. My master said it has corrupted files and appears dead. My system won't boot normally. It says:

Failed to ARC READ to check for signature. I/O error 00000100. It forces me to do a repair or reinstall (partial) ...when it loads and gets to the Help screen I can exit and when it reboots it requires me to put in the Operating System Recovery disc and it then reboots from the CD. A friend says it could be disc controller card or bad HD (again?) Please help a newbie. Thanks.

Excuse me, the error message mentioned above actually says
" Failed to ARCREAD the Boot Patiction to check for signature"
Again. appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks !

ARC is the language the BOOT.INI file is based off of. Does everything look cool with your BOOT.INI? You should be able to view it via the XP recovery console and maybe there will be some bad switch command or something of that sort.

Just for everyone out there. If the roles of the HDs was switched. The slave becomes the master and the master becomes the slave. Would it boot from the new master drive if the other HD is corrupt? Maybe just change the boot order to look at the good HD first.

Then you might be able to trouble shoot the bad one. Somebody tell me if I'm wrong it was just a theory.

Thanks much but I now only have one HD hooked up and it is giving me " Failed to ARCREAD the Boot Partition to check for signature". I did a search for the Boot.ini and it dies find it. Thanks for the responses. I'm still searching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom