If one component fries are the rest still safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin306

Beta member
Hi. I had an old ethernet card that I'd found (in a discarded computer that to my knowledge worked fine). When I suddenly needed an ethernet card I didn't feel like going to the store so I popped it in to my machine to see if it worked. When I booted up the wire going to my case speaker fried. When I smelled the burning plastic and disconnected power, windows was still booting - but I guess damage could have occured even after I yanked the plug, I'm yet to find out.
The wire going to my power button was tied to the wire going to the speaker so it received a bit of damage too. Since this power-button wire dissapears into the casing, and since my computer's so old to begin with, it will be less hassle for me to just replace the casing and mobo and transfer my components.
I don't know if the mystery ethernet card could have been responsible, even though it's not physically close to that wire. It was fine afterwards - no charring. I guess it could have somehow given a surge that fried a component not in proximity to it. Or, it could just have been a coincidence this happened the same time I put in the card.
So my questions are: is it safe to assume the ethernet card is to blame, and that the other components are ok to transfer to the new casing? Would you be worried putting the power supply etc. into the new machine, that this might happen again and cause a fire?
Thanks in advance.

Hmm, it's [possible that you shorted out other parts but since it was booting to windows when you pulled the plug suggests otherwise. I wouldn't use high dollar parts with the mobo until you are sure though. If you have a junker laying around, test your parts in it before putting together a new machine with them. You don't want to waste money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom