If I Were to Replace my Motherboard...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orayn

In Runtime
I know I'd have to reinstall Windows due to the new hardware specifications,a dn I'm perfectly capable of backing up my data. However, I don't own any Windows CDs. As I own an HP, I only have a recovery partition on my hard drive. If I replaced my motherboard some time in the future, would the recovery partition be enough, or would I have to buy a copy of Windows?

I have been under the impression that the OEM's like DELL, HP, Compaq are SUPPOSED to be sending you your OEM copy of windows when you get your machine... Since your copy comes pre-installed, you already bought it. I would call HP, and see if they can send you an OEM disc.

They'll send you the discs with all the software that came preinstalled on your computer. That's what they did for me when I ordered one.

My father had this problem with HP. He argued on the phone for hours to get windows XP cds. In the end after ranting at every manager their they agreed to send him cds for a 29.99 shipping and handling fee... Basicly from what I've seen if you don't get cds when you buy it, good luck.

If you do a repair install of Windows before booting it up with the new motherboard it will leave all of your programs and files intact... if all goes well.

I had this exact problem about 3 months ago... I got a new motherboard and had to format the hdd because of a difference in chipsets so i went to look for my windows cd and found out HP doesnt send them in the box. So I ended up calling HP and complaining and still never got my OEM OS. so i had to buy one. And BTW you have to reformat because of the difference in chipsets on the mobos, there is no way around it. Just back up your data on CD's.

You don't have to reformat, you can do a repair install which will keep all your files intact. You'll just need to reinstall all the drivers and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom