IBM T20 Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baez

Admin / Dev
Staff member
OK I have a good ol' IBM T20 P3 800MHz laptop here I'm trying to fix.

The beginning problem was that it was freezing on Windows loading. But, it would load as soon as choosing Safe Mode. So I thot, "Alright it's a driver problem." So I removed everything from start-up list and used driver rollback etc. and it still didnt work. So I ended up reformatting sadly. I also ran all the tests (MemTest, Drive Fitness Test etc.) since this IBM is too old to have the doctor.

So I reformatted and reinstalled but it would keep freezing at the device installation phase. So I tested the harddrive fully and Drive Fitness found errors and fixed a bunch of stuff. So this time it worked when installing. Finally, it booted up and I thot it was finally fixed when NO, it froze at startup again when I installed SP2 (my XP cd is SP1). So I ran the Drive Fitness again and it found more errors. So I bought a new harddrive thinking it had to be it. And of course it isnt.

It is now back to freezing at installation at exactly "35 mins remaining" while installing devices.

Can anyone PLEASE help me I'm going insane. I can't stand old computers! (except for my P1 75MHz :p)

Chris

i had a similar problem with my P3 intel, when i would load her up at windows desktop if would freez up.
try pulling out the RAM for like 10 min. and then reseat it
if that doesnt work ur gonna buy a new stick of RAM sound like its failing

Memtest finds the most common errors found in RAM but not all errors can be found

I have been trying to cure my T20 for over a year. It frequently locks up with the BSOD when I need it most. Recently I downloaded a temperature monitor from http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Oakland/8259/.

I quickly discovered that the T20 temp would suddenly zoom up past 91 degrees C and shutdown. If I put it on an ice pack the problem disappeared.
After working with the temp monitor, and Lenovo, and Microsoft for updates to the Power monitor, it seems to have stabilized.

The monitor shows the freq as either 760 mhz or 600 mhz, and the temp varies from 80 down to 47, but so farno BSOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom