IBM server having problem with SATA Hard Drive. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default IBM server having problem with SATA Hard Drive.

I got an Reburbished. IBM Storage engine earlier that comes with a 80GB WD SATA Drive. I try to put another Drive in it which is a 320GB Seagate SATA Model#:ST320620NS. When I attempt to install windows xp on it, it's all good until when it starts to copy files after quick format. it didn't finish and restarts by itself. I then try to Run PC CHECK on it from Eurosoft, it's stating that read test and read verified failed, but all other tests passed. but then all these drives are tested just fine with other hardware. when I run the same test for the original 80GB it passed all the test without any problem, and installs win xp without any problem. So I ended up didn't add the 320GB drive. Right now, I got another IBM eserver 336, it didn't come with a hard drive, when I plug in the 320GB, it does the same. although this time PC CHECK got stucked on loading screen and wouldn't run. but Memtest 4.0 passed without any problem. Any help is greatly Appreciated.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Default Re: IBM server having problem with SATA Hard Drive.

Sounds like the drive is busted. Have you tried another?

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 10-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I don't think it's the problem with the drive, because I have 5 of these and all of them tested fine on other servers(HP proliant) and they all have the same test failed on the IBM servers. I thought it was the problem with the Hard drive at first as well, but I retested the Hard drive after and get the same result.

By the way, I found this thread here http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/fo...71450&tstart=0 although no one seems to be solving the problem, seems like I may not be the only one. Although he's using SSD compare to I'm just using regular HD.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Are you saying that the HDD does work in another computer?

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 10-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yes. it does work in another computer.
Closed Thread