IBM IntelliStation E Pro (Type 6214) and booting devices sequence

Status
Not open for further replies.

zillah

In Runtime
I have got this PC:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=ibm&lndocid=MIGR-39510

I am not sure what type of BOIS does it have.

Each PC (At work we have got many)has got two HDs,,,,,,Master (Segate) and Slave (Western Digital) connected to one ribbon cable to IDE0,,,,and CD Rom connected to IDE1.

When I booted the system there are two option

Press F1 for setup

Press F12 for startup Device Menu.

If I choose F1 for Setup,,,,I have many options,,,,under "Devices" --> "IDE Drives Setup" :

IDE Drive 0
IDE Drive 1
IDE Drive 2
IDE Drive 3

IDE Drive 0 and IDE Drive 1 for HDs master and slave respectively,,,,, IDE Drive 2 for CD Rom.

How can I change the order of the booting devices,,,, IDE Drive 1 before IDE Drive 0 ?,,,because I can not see any option in the BIOS to help me out.

did you try the f12 option?
Yes I tried. It has this menu:

1- +Removable Devices

2- CD-ROM Drive

3- +Hard Disk---------If I choose this there are no options to choose the desired hard disk

Why do we have plus sign in foront of option 1 and 3

In the BIOS main Menu I have got these options :

Code:
Main      Devices    Startup     Advanced     Security    Power    Exit

If I choose "Devices",,,the only option related to my question is : "IDE Drive Setup",,,,and I explained this in my previous reply.

If I choose "Startup",,,,the only option related to my question is :
" Startup Device Menu Prompt--------[Enabled] ".
You can see, it is only Enabled or Disabled.

If you highlight the "Startup Device Menu Prompt--------[Enabled]" and read the Item Specific help that BIOS provides,,,,,,it says:

"This option allows the Startup Device Menu to be displayed by pressing F12 after the system is turned on. The Startup Device Menu allows the squence of startup device to be temporairly changed ",,,,,,,This is about F12 that you have asked me in your previous reply.

so basically your saying that you want to boot from your slave drive????????

if so, just change the slave over to master. And the master over to slave.

yes, physically open the computer and switch the configuration.
I am aware of that,,,but I do not like to do this, because I am looking to do some test when install more than one OS,,,therefore I need to switch beween slave and master.

Thanks uzi9mm.

1- Is this normal with most of the BIOS ?

2- Because mine at home I can change the boot sequence for the Hard Drives from Slave to master and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom