i7 vs phenom 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, this shouldn't be in this section of the forum.

Second, the i7 wins hands down. The only time I've seen the Phenom win was when it was overclocked to 3.6ghz and the i7 was stock. But the point of the Phenom is the value. Me personally, I'd go with an i7, but to each their own. It's still a good processor.

In terms of performance I7 will easily win out
In terms of price/performance the phenom 2 is the best
They are around equal on the overclockability
Power consumption is close but I believe the phenom 2 wins

The price of the two chips are nearly the same. The extra cost comes from the motherboard and RAM. If you're like me and only have an AM2 motherboard instead of the needed AM2+, you need to upgrade the motherboard anyway.

Plus, DDR3 RAM is getting a lot cheaper now. Really, a CI7 system vs a PHII system, in terms of price, is not that much. But in terms of performance, it's huge.

Yeah, I'm with Craze. If you have to upgrade all your components anyway, i7 is worth it. The mobos are expensive, I believe they start at 200 bucks or so, but it's a new chipset, and that's future-proofing for ya. Also, the AM2+ is going to be relaced with AM3 sometime soon, so really, I don't see a point to buying a whole new AM2+ board if you are trying to buy a high end system. Budget systems are a different story, but you wouldn't be buying the Phenom 2 if you're building budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom