IÂ’ve been deceived!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seria

PC Cutie ^_^
**dont care for the story? my question is at the bottom.*

Last month I started to experience problems with my laptop. They where just the “normal” Windows errors that over time snowball into bigger problems... Anyways, I took it upon myself to wipe the hard-drive and install Windows .

Well, the next week I took it in to upgrade from a wireless-B to a G. The guy turns it on and has a come-unglue at me. He is all but screaming at me right in the front of the store! He said: “Windows isn’t as easy to install as clicking ‘next’ ‘next’ ‘next’ like people think. We guarantee our product because WE ‘fix’ the problems, not a silly girl like you!”

He went on and on and nothing he said had any more than 10% truth to it.

Anyways... I will tell you how that whole thing went down if you want but the moral of the story is this: All they do to ‘fix’ a problem is “re-image” the hard drive.

Once I got it back it worked for about 10 seconds then it stopped working. So I took it back again, they “re-re-imaged” the hard drive and it worked for about another week or so...

I am going to take it back again and tell them that I want them to format the hard drive and install Windows normally. But before I do I have a question:

HERE IS MY QUESTION:

Is there a way to tell the difference between: [a formatted hard drive and fresh Windows install] and [just another re-image]?

Please help me!!!

Run any of data recovery software lie file scavenger see if brings up any old files.

They gave me the OS (WinXPproSP1) when I bought the laptop. They just add their "service info" in the "General System Properties"...

Where could I get some data recovery software?

And how would I be able to tell if it is old data? Check the properties of the file and see if it was created before the current OS? Could I hide a file at the end of the HD and hope the imaging process doesnÂ’t write over it?

I really wanna know if these people just re-image my HD rather than do what I tell them to do.

If they don't format and do a fresh install like I will ask them... I'm gonna start sh*t with the store and eventually light fires all the way up the corporate ladder.

What exactly does imaging a HD do? I mean, I know it copies one HD to another but, does that include completely wiping the HDÂ’s table of contents?

“Windows isn’t as easy to install as clicking ‘next’ ‘next’ ‘next’ like people think.

Lol, tell him it actually is.

This may not work..., check in disk defragmenter analyse the C:\ drive.
When you format the C:\ drive fragments are removed, however if its an image it may be fragmented.

I dont see what recovering old data will tell her? You can recover data from probably the first time an OS was ever installed and formatted multiple times after...

The re-image is just as good as a format it is doing the samething as a format with way less work. As for being able to tell I cant think of a way really. Unless they are using ghost..if you see this file on the root of your C: "VIRTPART.DAT" then they imaged it with ghost. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom