I think its dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadleman

Solid State Member
A couple weeks ago I posted about my computer restarting itself 30 seconds after bootup. Well, now it won't even turn on. The day before I checked the CPU and system temps and they were both around 53C. I know its not the power supply because I tested a different one and got the same results. The only response I get is if I turn off the power supply, after 10 seconds turn it back on, and the fans will spin a couple times but that is ALL. My guess is it's the mobo or processor but I'm not sure which. Is there any way to tell? Am I screwed?

have u got your RAM checked as well? though CPU's arent they delicately manufactured that to consider them a reason for fault for first time. if you are in doubt of both,then consider Motherboard first. also, which CPU are you using? if its AMD (non 64-bit), then possibility could be thermal death. else all others not applicable

I didn't have a chance to check the RAM before it died. My processor is an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ on a Gigabyte GA-7VRXP mobo.

make sure its not shorting out anywhere.
try setting it all up ontop a not static surface.
and check the mobo screws so the space screws are installed properly
so its not shorting anywhere

Everything is spaced properly; the mobo isn't touching the case. Still no results.

1) Remove/unplug everything except things that are necessary for booting: cpu,ram,video,mobo. That means remove audio/modem/network/usb/hdd/fdd/cd/...
2) remove the battery and short-circuit it's pins on the mobo (because there might be capacitors holding energy.
3) Waint 30min
4) Put battey back, If it starts, continue adding your hardware one by one untill you find a problem. If not - you have a problem in either mobo(most likely)/cpu/ram/video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom