I think heatsinks are a pretty cool guy (help please). - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default I think heatsinks are a pretty cool guy (help please).

Skip to the red text if you want to avoid the story/rant.

Okay--initially my problem was that I had no video output when I turned on my computer (I could type in my password, do the standby command, etc., and hear the computer working, so I knew it was just the lack of picture on my monitor that was the problem)--but now I've got a/some new issue/s.

After doing a few tests to see if I could fix the inital problem without opening my pc, I was unsuccessful and had to open up my pc. This was my first time opening it since I built it and had it functioning at first boot, so I was sort of dissapointed and wished I had looked more carefully on the external parts.

Regret was soon to be the least of my problems; as I removed my video card to try and just put it back in (I was to do this with the RAM as well), the small plastic piece on the end of the PCI-e slot broke off. I was already p*ssed, but assumed that wouldn't greatly affect my PC's functionality (does it?). So I continued on, but not before noticing that my heatsink popped out while I removed my video card. It's an 8800GTS mammoth, so I did have to use a bit of manuevering to get it out, so I'm not surprised that something came loose while I did so.

But the heatsink...Ooooh the heatsink...I do not like heatsinks. I'm grateful for their existance, but I just can't stand installing one. Well, now I have to do it again. Except this time, it just won't go in. Those little retarded push-pin things simply won't work.

So now I'm pretty much resorting to removing the motherboard from the case, taking every <snipped> component and cord off of it, and just installing the heatsink with no troubles.

1. Is this worth it? Is there another way?
2. What should I rest my motherboard on? Will newspaper suffice?
3. Is there anything else I should know before going through with this?

Old 07-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: I think heatsinks are a pretty cool guy (help please).

1. That's usually the best way to put a heatsink on, especially ones with pushpins. I've learned this the hard way. Tried to put my AF7 on while it was still in the case...and it was a pain. Much easier to take the motherboard out of the case and do it.

2. If you still have the motherboard box/foam pad/antistatic bag they put in with them, I use those. Otherwise just do it on something that won't make you conduct electricity and you zap your board while handling it.

3. Make sure you have more thermal paste. When you're going to reseat your heatsink/fan, its recommended that you redo the thermal paste that's on there. Clean it off with isopropyl alcohol (the higher the alcohol percentage, the better), and use non-lint pads to clean it off...coffee filters work great for this, and are cheap.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 07-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to wafflehammer

you could always pay about $15 for a retention bracket and not have to worry about the CPU heatsink push pins lol :| but i think i would rather deal with them than pay $15
Old 07-19-2008, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks guys.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Private Joker

No problem.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Closed Thread