I spent $200 to break my computer! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default I spent $200 to break my computer!

Okay, after a year of waiting I finally got a Thermaltake Armor series full tower. Oh it's so beatiful, and so big!

So I proceeded to remove everything from my old cramped, under ventilated case, and put it all in the new one. Something I regret at this minute because everything worked in there. I thoroughly cleaned all the parts, put some new Arctic Silver 5 on my processor, and carefully re-installed everything in the new case. Oh yeah, don't forget my new sata DVD-r with lightscribe technology.

I push the power button and am dazzled by the christmasy glow of all the blue led lit fans. I glance up at my monitor, and I see nothing. To my horror I see exactly what I had hoped wouldn't be there, "no signal". Oh the humanity. So I proceed to check all my connections. I make sure the jumper settings on my HD are correct. Everything is as it should be, yet nothing happens.

I hear the HD spin up, and I hear the whir of the new DVD-r drive, the processor fan, and the blue lights all go, but nothing happens. Not even the beep of an error code!

I have no way of swapping out any hardware to pinpoint the problem, but I'm leaning towards the MB right now seeing as how I get no beeps or anything. Everything gets power, but it just sits there idle after it starts. I re-installed everything back in the old case just the way it was, and nothing. I put it all back in the new case again, and nothing. I re-installed all the components and nothing. I reset the cmos, and nothing.

I gotta figure it out and order the parts soon. By tonight if possible, so any quick tips or advice will help. Even just a few "Yes, it's your MB." will encourage me to order a replacement.

Thanks ahead!

Old 12-16-2007, 07:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913
Default Re: I spent $200 to break my computer!

Take out the CMOS battery, wait 10 minutes, and put it back it to reset the CMOS.
CPU and video cards power plugs are in?

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Did that, and my cpu and vid card don't have seperate power cords.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via MSN to LeftEyeBlind

That happens to me when my ram is loose.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I'm in the same boat dude. My board wont finish posting now. I get error code 7f on the board, and of course the manual is no help. I'm guessing it is a video issue.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

you guys can always send your rigs to me, post paid bot ways and I'll fiddle with them for free...no gaurantees!

check your cpu mounting
and seriously check your mobo mounting as well

I think the mobo is mismounted
Old 12-17-2007, 05:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

check if the board is touching the Back of the Case (the side panel) that may cause shorting so check for that, try a CMOS Battery Removal, Faulty RAM Stick?
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 12-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I have my cmos battery out on mine right now, if it still doesnt boot when i get home im pulling EVERYTHING out of the case and starting from scratch, then if that doesnt work, its time to RMA the board.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

RMA it anyways, you can get a better new shiny board anywaysq
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 12-17-2007, 06:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

At least Evga has the cross shipping free with their 680i boards so it wont cost me to rma.