I sniffed a burning smell coming from my computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spit-wad

Bake a Pretty Cake!
Built it about 3 months ago. Smelled burning a couple days ago. I immediately unplugged everything and opened it up to try to find where the smell was coming from. I *think* it was from the power supply, but not absolutely sure... the smell went away pretty quickly once I opened the case.

Anyways, I thought that it could possibly be dust? I hadn't really cleaned it since I built it, and it was quite dusty. I ran down to Walgreens and bought a can of air and cleaned it out... haven't smelled burning since.

Could it just be that some dust fell on something hot, and all it needed was a good cleaning? Or should I be worried about my power supply or video card? (Before I turned off my comp, I checked my video card temps... it was fine)

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I have had so many "burning smell" experiences with my computer its not even funny, there's about 4 things that usually can smell, PSU, motherboard, your CPU paste if your HSF comes loose, or like you said dust getting hot, both times my PSU and MOBO smelled it was already after they died, so I would just double check if the HSF was secure and if it doesn't smell no more I wouldn't worry about it xD.

I've only had my computer since January and I've already had every one of those things happen to me except the dust cause the computer hasn't worked long enough to get dusty lol xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom