I set the cards refresh rate too high

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darragh

Baseband Member
I was attempting to reduce flicker in gaming and I set the refresh rate too high for the monitor to handle..Now when I start the computer a black screen comes up telling me it cant support the graphics cards settings, How do I fix this? Im in safe mode but It wont let me change the graphics cards settings unless im on Normal mode but I cant even get on that mode. its a gtx 560ti zotac.

Try uninstalling the video card drivers in safe mode. This should make windows switch to a default driver. You can then boot into normal mode and reinstall the driver.

Try uninstalling the video card drivers in safe mode. This should make windows switch to a default driver. You can then boot into normal mode and reinstall the driver.

I tried that and it got me back onto normal mode but the drivers reinstalled themself on the same high refresh settings and the same problem happened with the black screen

Find out where the card profiles are saved. Mine are in

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\Profiles

EDIT: Those are for nTune.... hmmm

After you uninstall the drivers, reinstall them with the clean install option selected.

I was attempting to reduce flicker in gaming and I set the refresh rate too high for the monitor to handle..Now when I start the computer a black screen comes up telling me it cant support the graphics cards settings, How do I fix this? Im in safe mode but It wont let me change the graphics cards settings unless im on Normal mode but I cant even get on that mode. its a gtx 560ti zotac.

Whats your screensize, change the refresh rate in safe mode using the nvidia control panel.
Or do it like this, go to your main screen, right click, hit properties, click on display settings.
Next change your monitors refresh rate from 75hz to 60hz or 65hz.
Anything your monitor cannot handle, windows 7 will tell you flat out it might not work. ;)

Give that a try and report back to us soon.

Whats your screensize, change the refresh rate in safe mode using the nvidia control panel.
Or do it like this, go to your main screen, right click, hit properties, click on display settings.
Next change your monitors refresh rate from 75hz to 60hz or 65hz.
Anything your monitor cannot handle, windows 7 will tell you flat out it might not work. ;)

Give that a try and report back to us soon.

I cant get access to the nvidia control panel while in safe mode. I can just get into normal mode when I uninstall the graphics card, The monitor settings are alright its just the graphics card settings I have to find a method of changing the cards refresh rate.

I cant get access to the nvidia control panel while in safe mode. I can just get into normal mode when I uninstall the graphics card, The monitor settings are alright its just the graphics card settings I have to find a method of changing the cards refresh rate.

Uninstall the graphics card as in remove it? Or uninstall as in uninstall the driver for it?

What Mike suggested is how you change the video card settings. The video card sends the refresh rate to the monitor. If in the Nvidia control panel you see the something along the lines of "change monitor refresh rate" or just "change refresh rate" click it and follow his instructions.
You have to change the video card refresh rate through Nvidia, because it is sending an incompatible signal to the monitor.

Uninstall the graphics card as in remove it? Or uninstall as in uninstall the driver for it?

What Mike suggested is how you change the video card settings. The video card sends the refresh rate to the monitor. If in the Nvidia control panel you see the something along the lines of "change monitor refresh rate" or just "change refresh rate" click it and follow his instructions.
You have to change the video card refresh rate through Nvidia, because it is sending an incompatible signal to the monitor.

I cant get into the nvidia control panel while in safe mode, I know how to change the refresh rate on the card in normal mode but I cant even get an image on the screen for that. Ive tried uninstalling the graphics in safe mode and reinstalling it with clean install in normal mode but the screen just turns black again . .. Am I just going to have to get a new monitor that can support the 85hz the graphics card is set at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom