I/O Device Error when copying from External Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeckdude

Beta member
Hello,

I am trying to copy some files from an external hard drive to another drive. It copies very slowly and then after copying a few files, it gives me the following message "Cannot Copy [filename]: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

I tried some file recovery programs, but I receive similar messages.

What can I do to recover or copy files from the external hard drive?

Run check disk on the external first. Then check all the cables for it.

File recovery programs..? I take it you've already tried dumping the data to an internal HDD? Definately run a CHKDSK.

External to External data dumps, the definition of slow. Good luck.

I ran a check disk, and it came back with the following message "Windows was unable to complete the disk check."

I also tried copying some more files and it would copy some files and then it gave me the following error: "Cannot copy file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."

Upon putting my external drive into a USB port on the back of the computer, I noticed it's ALOT faster than the USB port in the front of the computer where I had it plugged in so far. It also copies correctly now with no error messages. I now see that BOTH of my front USB ports are not working correctly and the error messages were due to that.

How can I fix the front USB ports so they work correctly?

Is the front panel USB a standalone device that fits into a 3.5" bay? If that's the case, the speed might be restricted by the USB 1.1 standard, or it's possibly faulty.

I'd also check the BIOS and make sure all USB settings are set to "High Speed"/USB 2.0 and not "Full Speed"/USB 1.1.

One last thing to check is where the front panel USB is plugged in. It's possible the header you have it plugged into on the board is having problems. Just try another header.

If it's the type of front panel USB that is esentially an extension cable/hub that literally runs a USB cable through the machine, out the back, and gets plugged into a rear panel USB port, I'd advise getting a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom