i/o device error - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default i/o device error

Sorry if this has been addressed but I couldn't find anything when searching, other than maybe something involving flash drives...anway

I'm having some serious problems here...mostly when trying to delete files or uninstalling software... I keep getting this message "...The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" The thing is I'm not using any I/O devices when I do this. I have Windows XP and I tried looking up some support on the Windows site but it only refers to this problem when using the DVD-Rom...On another forum the only reply told me to do a system restore to some time before the problem started...I have no idea, I'm assuming I have some sort of virus or corruption on my hard drive. Any help would be appreciated, I'm no computer expert.

Old 11-16-2005, 05:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
S e c u r e d

1st : Check for any error icons in your Device Manager.
* If you find them, reinstall drivers

2nd: Perform a repair on your operating system.
* If you have never done this step before... please follow this link : http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Old 11-16-2005, 05:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thanks for the reply
I checked my device manager, the only 'error' i see is under network adaptors, theres a red x over Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller...theres another network adapter workin ok tho - SMC Compact USB to Ethernet Converter
I apologize for my ignorance but should i update the one with the x over it? i see update, enable and uninstall options when i right click
Old 11-16-2005, 05:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
S e c u r e d

As long as you have connectivity.. I would leave it alone. Sounds like you have an onboard NIC and a PCI NIC... its ok to leave that adapter with a red X.