I need help setting up my secondary PC with my wireless Linksys router - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 01:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Red face I need help setting up my secondary PC with my wireless Linksys router

Ok so, new to the site and not stupid just not a techie. My ex was a techie but he isnt here anymore and he left me with all his gadgets!
I have a PC set up in the living room and a Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router hooked up to power the PS3 in the bedroom.
I need to hook up another PC in the bedroom to use for my live webcam. There is a cable in another room but it isnt long enough to reach and I dont want to have to splice and have cables all over the place.
If I can run this other PC that would be groovy. There is no Cisco program on my main PC and I cant find my model as an option on the support site. The model is wrt54g2. If somebody can walk me through setting up this windows xp operating PC using the wireless router that would be great!

Old 10-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: I need help setting up my secondary PC with my wireless Linksys router

So you want internet on you pc by using the router? Check if your pc has a wireless network card. If not you need to buy one or you can use this: Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter with Wi-Fi Finder WUSBF54G : Lees reviews en vergelijk prijzen op Ciao .
There are many models available so you just pick one. I suggest you pick of the same brand of your router... These usb sticks aren't expensive and do the job well.

Hope i could help you,

Greets

Old 10-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: I need help setting up my secondary PC with my wireless Linksys router

Actually, Linus, it doesn't matter that you get the same brand as your router. I have a D-Link router, use several different wireless cards. They all work fine.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I know in most cases it will work. But my father had a linksys usb stick and it didn't work with my usrobotics router. Weird but hey... And no i'm not stupid. I study the **** field of networking... Just didn't work...
greets
Old 10-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Never said you were, mate. Most likely a security issue. For example, his card only accepts WEP, your router is using WPA. Thus, they can't connect.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

but is this (what we say) an answer to her question?
Old 10-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think what she was saying is she wants to connect to the router wirelessly. And yeah, she'd need a wireless adapter.