I need help, computer keeps shutting off

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazeD

Fully Optimized
My friend has an Intel P4 3.66GHz CPU with a Asus P5GD1 mobo.

Here's the problem. One day, whilest incorrectly installing a game and messing about with it, we shut the computer off. The next day, it started briefly then shut off.

So here's what it does. It starts, goes to a screen showing what motherboard it is, then goes to another screen that says, "IDE not detected," four times. This is usually where it shuts off. However, I reset the CMOS by taking the battery out and running the computer.. actually, it's still out. I also found out his SATA cord wasn't plugged into his harddrive... :rolleyes: ...so I plugged that in. Now, it gets passed the "IDE not detected" screen and goes to a screen saying the CMOS has been changed, and that I need to change it in the BIOS. I can enter the BIOS briefly before the system shuts off, or if I let it sit there it shuts off in a couple seconds.

I have tried a different powersupply, tried booting from floppies and cd's, I've tried different RAM, I've tried unplugging the harddrive, I've tried a different harddrive, and I've tried reseting the CMOS... all to no avail.

It is POSTing, and it's detecting all the memory and such.. just keeps frigin shutting off, and I can't figure it out. I'm pretty sure the mobo isn't toast, because everything else works fine...keyboard, video, lights, sound, RAM, etc.. I've seen mobo's die before and they did not work whatsoever, didn't turn on, some did but they didn't POST.. this is POSTing, and turning on.

Also, I have one long beep (indicating that it has POSTed fine) and 2 short beeps a bit later (indicating a POST/CMOS error) which I assume is because I reset the CMOS and haven't changed it yet.

Soo.. does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

CMOS jumpers are on pins 1-2, like the manual says. The battery isn't even in at the moment, all that does is save the settings I apply.. right? But the computer shuts off with it in or not in.

It's not a problem with CMOS.. I just typed that last bit just for the **** of it, I'm 99.9% sure I get the two beeps because I reset the CMOS, I'm not really concerned with that at the moment. I'd like the dam thing to stay on for more than a minute.

Thanks for the reply, anymore are welcomed.

Nevermind, I'm pretty sure the motherboard is completely toast... I don't even get anything on the screen before it dies now.. ohwell, I guess this was indeed a crap motherboard.

Thanks anyway.

Well, now I can get the computer to stay on, it's been on for a couple hours now. But.. I don't have any video. I'm not sure if it's the card, or if maybe the motherboard is fried in that area. I'm thinking maybe the card got damaged, and therefore making the motherboard not work properly, and then maybe the video card decided to totally bite the dust?

I don't have PCI-E, so I can't really check things until this weekend when a friend comes over, but I'd like some possible theories or something.

Well, messing around probably didn't help you a lot :D It does sound rather like your motherboard is dying or at least very very ill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom