I loaded two dvd's in the tray... wondering what happened inside - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2019, 11:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question I loaded two dvd's in the tray... wondering what happened inside

I have an old desktop PC with a vertical loading DVD tray. It was dark and I foolishly loaded a second dvd ontop of a dvd that was already in there. I pressed the button and the computer took them both in.

I soon realized that it wasn't reading anything. I didn't hear any grinding or crunching noises so it seems like the motor just didn't move. The icon did not identify any DVD Title either.

My question is: What happened inside? Did the extra width of 2 dvds (instead of one) jam the motor or did the motor just not start at all?

I'm not sure if anyone will know the answer. But I am curious as to the inner workings.

Would love to hear opinions. The dvd player seems to work fine now... with just one disk in it! But I am concerned I might have worn out the motor a bit by jamming it.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: I loaded two dvd's in the tray... wondering what happened inside

The motor would likely not have enough torque to move; for a short time this is fine and indeed exactly what happens when you turn on a stationary motor; extended periods of this could burn out the motor or controller as you've put it in a stall, this causes the current to increase a ton over a normal functioning free spinning motor due to no opposing feedback voltage being generated by the magnets in the motor.

Here's a good post about it https://robotics.stackexchange.com/q...rent-of-motors
And this http://physics.bu.edu/~duffy/sc545_n.../back_emf.html

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you for that and the links. It helps me to understand the electricity behind the heat that could burn out a motor.

I was hoping that some rubber wheel or clamp mechanism did not fully engage due to the extra width, and therefore the motor never electrically started.

But I can't know because I can't see what's going on inside the DVD unit. Even if I took the DVD unit out of the PC, I still would not be able to see!

Anyhow it works. And it was only a minute or two of inaction---whatever it was.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knowitall!

It's doubtful it caused any permanent damage. IMO, nothing to worry about.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
It's doubtful it caused any permanent damage. IMO, nothing to worry about.
Thanks. Well, it is just a secondary computer that I picked up from Craigslist. I use it mostly for watching DVDs so I won't burn out the drive on my best computer!

I do not like vertical loading designs. Seems illogical and risky to me. Easy to scratch disks...
Old 08-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knowitall!

You could get an external DVD drive and use it instead if you really dislike the vertical design!

I personally wouldn't have worried about the DVD drive on my best computer. A replacement drive is probably less expensive than another entire computer. However, I would have gotten an exterior drive to play movies before I would have purchased a whole 2nd computer from Craigslist.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ah but this was a deal. 30 bucks Cdn. for a Windows 7 machine that plays video smoothly. That would be about 20-25 bucks your currency! I plan to dual boot with Lubuntu when the greedy Windows barons pull the plug on Win 7 updates. (just kidding).

Tags
dvd damage?