I just had the weirdest comp problem ever, can you figure this out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emper0r

Baseband Member
Ok guys, I just resolved the strangest problems I've ever had with a computer. And I have no idea why what I did solved the problem but it did, if anyone can figure this out I'll mail you a dozen donuts.

I have the specs of my computer listed at the bottom of the post because the list is very long. For now just know that the computer uses Windows 64-bit Let me start out with a little history:

I've had this computer for about five months now and it's the first computer I built myself. When I first got done building it, I tweaked the timings/voltages on the ram to meet what were called the premium settings on the corsair website. For some reason tweaking the voltages changed the CPU multiplier and I got blue screens a few times a day every day until finally I decided to set everything back to default.

After I set everything back to default my computer ran almost completely smoothly (I think I got one blue screen) within a three month time frame. Then about a week go I began getting a blue screen every day sometimes twice a day. Today, I was playing Counter-Strike and I got a blue screen, restarted my comp started playing again and within 5 minutes I got another blue screen, restarted and started playing again and got ANOTHER blue screen and then when I restarted Windows wouldn't start and I got the following error message:

System32\ntoskrnl.exe file missing or corrupt, please re-install.

So I'm like wow I must have a virus, I guess I'll re-install windows. I put in the windows CD, it gets past the first two F6 and F2 prompts and then hits the error message slightly altered to be:

AMD6ntoskrnl.exe file missing or corrupt, setup cannot continue.

So I think it must be a hardware problem. I try disconnecting each of my hard drives one at a time then booting up to see if I can install on that one, doesn't work. I try my roommate's hard drive. Same error.

So I look up other people who had the same problem, everyone who has recieved this error message was trying to install Windows 64-bit, not already had it installed.

So I decide to try my ram, I remove one stick and boot up with only one stick in the mobo. It worked! So I thought the stick was faulty. Initially both sticks were plugged into both blue slots(there's two blue slots and two black slots). I say what the **** and try plugging in the supposedly faulty stick into the black slot next to the blue one... the computer works again... when it started up, I got an error that said "Registry hive(file) ntuser.dat corrupted but recovered" not sure if that's significant, but there you go.

So can someone please explain to me how switching the ram stick to another slot fixes the problem? And could someone please explain to me how that paticular ram slot was messing up system32 files?

If you can figure it out, please PM me your address and I'll mail you a dozen donuts, thanks.

SPECS WARNING VERY LONG:

Motherboard: EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel
Newegg.com - Buy Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Power Supply: ENERMAX GALAXY EGA1000EWL-DXX ATX/BTX 1000W Gamers Edition Power Supply 100 - 240 V
Newegg.com - Buy Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Hard Drives:

Primary:
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150
Newegg.com - Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Storage:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Video Card: eVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP
Newegg.com - EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

Sound Card: Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series
Newegg.com - Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series - Retail

Case : Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower
Newegg.com - NZXT Zero Black/Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Fans: Case - Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum/Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case Newegg.com - Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
2x120mm Case Fan - Thermaltake A2018 120mm Blue Case Fan---$12.99 Newegg.com - Thermaltake A2018 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - Retail
2x90mm Case Fan - Thermaltake A2017 90mm Blue Case Fan

Newegg.com - Thermaltake A2017 90mm Blue LED Case Fan - Retail
Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Thermaltake CL-P0310 120mm CPU Cooling

Newegg.com - Thermaltake CL-P0310 120mm CPU Cooling Fan - Retail
Thermal Paste - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound---$5.99 Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

Monitor: UltraSharp 2407WFP Wide-Screen Black Flat Panel Monitor, LCD with Height Adjustable Stand
Small Business: UltraSharp 2407WFP Wide-Screen Black Flat Panel Monitor, LCD with Height Adjustable Stand

DVD/CD Burner: LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM E-IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
Customer Reviews Of LITE-ON Black 20X DVD±R DVD Burner W/ 12X DVD-RAM write and LightScribe - OEM

DVD/CD Player: ASUS Beige 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM 2MB Cache E-IDE/ATAPI Combo Drive
Newegg.com - ASUS Beige 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM 2MB Cache E-IDE/ATAPI Combo Drive - Retail

are you planning to make this story copyright 2007? :)
nice story, the thing that concerns me is that when you put the XP CD in and ran it, it gave you " AMD6ntoskrnl.exe file missing or corrupt, setup cannot continue " even tho your using Intel. And for the RAM issue, different colored RAM Slots mean a different term. For example you have 2 blue and 2 black slots well the black slots are used for Dual Channel RAM while the Blue Slots are for single channel RAM. IN your situation the RAM you bought is Dual Channeled so both sticks go to the black slots or the other way around (check your motherboard manual)

Now wheres my donuts ?

Bad news, the problem still happens. However, I know that it's the ram that is bad now because with one stick I tested in every slot and the comp would never be able to get past the windows loading screen. However, the other stick allows me to get into windows but I get a blue screen about every 20 minutes lol. Hopefully enough time for me to send an e-mail to newegg and get a couple new sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom