I Have To Turn On My PC TWICE:( - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to samuraiwarrior
Thumbs down I Have To Turn On My PC TWICE:(

ok so the problem is everytime i come home from school and go to turn on my pc the power light just comes on for a second then everything flashes on for like half a sec and shuts off.... then press power button again and it all stays on fine until i turn off my pc now i had the same problem for months and then the power supply blew up(sparks and all) so i replaced it cuz now its dead and still the same problem... but last powersupply was a greater delay between when i turn on the pc and it shuts off the first time( like 10-20 secs on first try power led come on nothing happens...half second flash off everything on the its all down) so this is a 500W power supply and im runng a dfi lanparty board a amd dual core 4400+, a 6600gt, 2 dvd drive, 2 sata drives, and 4 fans...1 gig ram....hope i can solve this odd problem

Old 04-26-2007, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Default Re: I Have To Turn On My PC TWICE:(

It almost sounds like it is in hibernation mode then you hit the power button and it shuts down.That is a weird problem. Is anything in your event log?

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

hello thaks for replying but the thing is the pc is off...so its not in hibernation, the pc is off i got turn it on and it just does nothing then flashes on the powers off right away,,,,, then i press again and everything is fine...almost certainly a hardware issue.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to AND_YOU_ARE Send a message via Yahoo to AND_YOU_ARE

There should be a setting in the bios that you can change what the computer does when you press the power button. You just have to change the setting and it should power up with just one press of the button.

X-Fire: andyouare1
AIM: plantagenet51

Ars Technica

Silent PC Review

Xtreme Systems
Old 04-26-2007, 09:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

i think there is something in your bios which is configured wrong, which is causing an error. Try setting everything back to default settings.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 04-27-2007, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

if it truely were to be a simple bios setting why does only the power led come on for like 30 secs then it flashes on and goes off....and today when it went off it wouldnt respond at all so i unplugged it for like 7mins, then it did the usual on and off thing the first time and came on the second........so why was it completely unresponsive? i have a dfi lan unltra-d lan party board and noticed that when the pc is on the little light near the ram slots stays lit. and its as though the motherboard isnt transering the electrcity properly? its a brand new good 500w so it can be the powersupply(again)
help?
Old 04-28-2007, 12:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Ok, check that your cpu and gfx card and ram are all at acceptable heat ranges. Sounds like your pc is having to auto-protect itself by shutting down. check temps.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 04-28-2007, 05:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

Have you tried checking your power supply rails? They shouldnt be too far off from 12v, 5v, 3.3v. There is a stickie on the top of this forum. You can check it with a multimeter or in the bios hardware monitor, or in windows with software.

Ars Technica

Silent PC Review

Xtreme Systems
Old 04-28-2007, 05:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal_Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Ethereal_Dragon

It is possible that it could be a motherboard issue if he is getting the SAME issue with 2 different PSU's, unless the PSU's are the cheap $20-$30 variety.... in that case, wattage doesn't matter, they are all junk.
XFX Radeon HD 4870, SILVERSTONE DA700, Samsung 840 500Gig SSD MZ-7TD500BW, 3x WD20EARS 2 TB Green,
ASUS DRW-2014L1T (DVD), LG WH14NS40 (Blu Ray), Dell 2709W, Sony SDM-HS95P, Windows 10 Pro
The NAS Box: OFFLINE D-Link DNS-323, 0.1RC3 Alt-F firmware, 2x 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB EXT4 - NO RAID - 6 TB
Home Server: BUILD LOG!! - Supermicro SC826TQ-R800LPB chassis, X8DTN+, Dual Xeon E5620 (Stock),
4x Nanya NT4GC72B4NA1NL-CG (24GB Reg ECC DDR3), 12x MICRON MT36JSZF51272PZ-1G4G1FG (48GB Reg ECC DDR3), (72GB total memory)
2x OCZ Agility (60GB) (OS & Backup), 6x WD40EFRX (4TB) in RaidZ2 (14.3 TB usable), 2x Q Series HDTS225XZSTA (256GB) ZIL & L2ARC mirrored

Old 04-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie

My thought is that the PSU are of low quality, especial since the store seems so willing to give him another one.

To the OP. Find out how many watts the first one was the died, and then how many watts the new ones they keep giving you are, and see if there is a difference. Maybe see if they could put in a good brand or brand new PSU.

Ars Technica

Silent PC Review

Xtreme Systems
Closed Thread