I have a couple of problems... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2007, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default I have a couple of problems...

I have an aolder Compaq Presario.... I have 248mb ram in it and under system info I have 63% of system resources free.... But my dsl is slow..I am getting around 711kbps according to my dsl speed test, but my isp says I should be getting around 3,000 (it doesnt even download what the speed test says, more like 30-40 kbps) but also I have a problem with videos... Downloaded and on the internet... I have windows 98, with directx9.0c , I downloaded the latest abdobe flashplayer, and the videos are slow and glitchy..... they download good, both on and off... but when playing they run slow and pause then run again.... what can I do to make them run smooth? when I first installed my dsl they ran fine, after the wireless was used on my bro-in-laws laptop, they havent ran smooth since? any suggestions?
The video card I dont think is the problem, but I cant update the drivers for it because I dont know where to find the model of my compouter..

Old 08-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
I know <html>, do you?
Send a message via AIM to SYL\X/3K Send a message via Yahoo to SYL\X/3K
Default Re: I have a couple of problems...

windows 98 @_o thats you first problem

try downloading K-lite Codec pack for the videos and for the internet , you talking about torrents?

P3 Setup- Intel 1.0ghz , 512Mb SDRAM , ATI 9200 128MB, 2x 40GB HD, Asus CUSL-LV

.....:::::POST Troubleshooting Steps.___.My Rig.___.Memory Test:::::.....
Old 08-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: I have a couple of problems...

I downloaded the k-lite codec pack 2.88(since I have windows 98) it sped up the d/led videos a little but not much, online videos still suck though.....

the codec install windows media origional(would not work) so I dont know what else to do....
Old 08-07-2007, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie
Talking Re: I have a couple of problems...

yeah he's right, update your OS and get cable internet and how much GHz are you running and get more ram, your over working your CPU with that low ram you got there.
Capitol-College '2014
M.S. in Information Assurance
North Carolina A&T State University '2011
B.S. in Computer Science
Closed Thread