I have 4GB of RAM but windows says I have 2GB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orion233

Baseband Member
I even went into the system BIOS and it says "total system memory 2048MB

I tried plugging them back in but I get the same result!
Someone Help!

run memtest and check the sticks are actually working on hardware level. Also the port could be dead and you could try a linux live cd to see whether its a windows issue or hardware related but thats not really essential as its unlikely but if you have one lying around might aswell cover all the bases

Tried removing the other 2GB, and putting the other 2GB in the other slots? (flip-flop the RAM basically).

how do i run a memory test? Is it safe to move the the ram in to the other slots?
I have a orange slot and green slot than another set of orange and green slots put both of them on the separate sets orange slots, do you mean I should move them on the green slots?

hey Carnage can you sign in on AIM so I can talk you because I have further questions about my rig because I just built it. thanks!

What Video card do you have? What OS are you using? What architecture are you using, 32 Bit or 64 Bit?

Have you tested both sets of RAM to make sure they both work?

Two things come to mind. First is your motherboard may not support 4 gig of memory - check the manf website to see what it can support. Second is if this is a 32 bit architecture it is only going to recognize 3.5 gig INCLUDING your video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom