I don't even know what to call this... theres about 20 questions in here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazer_viking

In Runtime
Guys I need some serious help... over the last month my computer has been going down hill and now its at the utter **** stage. Reformatting does little to nothing for me either. Lets start with the most recent problem.

USB drives (iPod, flash drives, ect) do not work. Windows will sometimes work with the iPod, but not often. Another thing is that one of my USB slots heats everything up to the point where it almost melted my iPod. It does not do this on the USB below it. I first noticed this problem today when there was a huge blister on my iPod where it sort of melted, so I put it on a USB slot below it and it was okay. I thought maybe that was just a fluke and I had it plugged in bad, so I went to put some files on my flash drive, and then that got so hot after only a few minutes that I couldn't even touch the metal part very long.
Also, none of the USB slots supply much power, at least not enough to turn on an LED in a flash drive or to charge an iPod. The flash drive works with my laptop, because it is in there right now. I know that it has to supply a little, because my wireless USB mouse still works. I've tried installing drivers that came with my DFI board, but to tell you guys the truth I don't trust things from DFI any more. From what I've experienced (buying this board) nothin was very professional, especially the things on this disc. For one thing, almost everything is misspelled, including the title of the disc that appears when you open My Computer. If someone thinks that drivers are my problem and know a good site for them, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Also long loads for Windows to start (10-15 minutes) even the initial boot after a fresh formatting and reinstallation. Is that not weird or what?

Also just recently, I've noticed random restarts or just plain shutdowns. Keep in mind this was after a fresh format and reinstall. The only software I've loaded on to my computer was iTunes, Everquest II, Firefox, Thunderbird, Avast!, and the Windows updates.

I'm having a break down here, my computer is very expensive... and I don't really know what I'd do/how I'd live without a good computer in the house. Please guys, help me restore my computer. Thanks.

Computer Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon FX-57
Operating System: Windows Professional x64
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 7800 GT (sli)
Mobo: DFI Lanpart UT expert
RAM: corsair value -could this be my problem?

One very major thing could be my experiments with overclocking. I never really over did it though, and my temps never got above 55c. Since then I've never messed with it again after a scare when it wouldn't uncompress something while overclocked, but did uncompress on stock settings.

I would say the motherboard is screwed.

About the USB problem, my guess is that something is shorting it, causing it to get hot. Look inside the port and make sure all the little prong things are inplace and not touching one another.

Could also be a PSU problem, what with the random restarts, and not enough USB power.

Could be RAM. Have you run Memtest86+? You might want to try that.

I say motherboard though.

I'm leaning toward the PSU. That would explain the power supplies to the USB ports and the unreliability (hangs and crashes).

Dan

dipique said:
I'm leaning toward the PSU. That would explain the power supplies to the USB ports and the unreliability (hangs and crashes).

Dan

You need to do a PSU swap with a friend or one of your other puters (if you have one) and see if the problems persist. If they do then your mobo should be RMA'd. I'm and Abit fanboy so I have no experience wiht DFI.

I would say it has more to do with the motherboard than the PSU. and you dont really have to swap, you can try tp plug in only the essential components that need power (i.e mobo, 1 hard drive, the videocard. and an optical (if that))..

then test it for stability..
Run Memtest like stated earlier.

Finally, you can trya nother PSU or RAM module.

But my guess is that if its that many problems, its the board itself.

Y'know... now that I think about it, it probably is the mobo. I don't really remember when some of my problems started but it may have been right after I changed the mobo. Good thing I still have my old one lying around here some where...

But I really hope it the PSU. If it is, that means less work for me having to replace it. PSU's are pretty simple compared to replacing a motherboard *gah*.

It turns out that nothing was wrong with the mobo, it was simply that the wires connected to the mobo were plugged in backwards. I guess I didn't pay too much attention to it when I was installing the new mobo, and unfortunatly my rush to get it done was at the cost of a 400$ iPod. I'm still pretty bummed over that :\

Still, nothing explains why Windows takes 10 minutes in some cases to boot up. I've cleaned my registry (and it is a brand new install of Windows... so I doubted that was the case anyway). This isn't a case of fine tuning my computer to get it to load faster, its a case of getting it to load in a normal time frame. I wouldn't mind if it even took a full 40 seconds... but 10 minutes is just rediculous.

Also, while I was in there I found the explination of the random restarts/shutdowns. It turns out my CPU fan wasn't even running!!! How I was able to play EQ2 with NO CPU fan whatsoever is beyond me completely, especially since this is a pretty hot running CPU. I went out and bought an 82 CFM fan which sounds similar to a hair dryer, but I hope I havn't done any permanent damage to my CPU. :( If it stood up to a week of that, then this is one hardy, rugged, spectacular CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom