I could use some help figuring out what the problem with my PSU and graphics card is...

Ted1590

Beta member
I have a Mac Pro 2009 built-in 980w PSU, and a MSI R9 390x, but there is one problem. My psu has worked fine with the old graphics card I had, but this new one makes my computer shut off whenever its power usage gets high. I can't start a game like ACS, ArmA 3, or Warframe, without it crashing. My card works fine as it can render my desktop and more perfectly, but crashes in any power-hungry situation. I tried using MSI afterburner to see what voltage it can get to before shorting out, and the answer was 1200 mV. My PSU can support 980 Watts, so I'm not exactly sure what that converts to, but I know the graphics card requires around 500 Watts, so I'm just not sure why this isn't working. My PSU and Graphics card work, just not together when i play a demanding game. Please help, Thanks -Ted :confused:

EDIT: Even going 15 seconds on a youtube video makes it crash.

Last edited:
Hey Ted,

The support page for your card, on the official MSI web site, states that the power consumption is 275W and the recommended PSU is 750W so I don't think that the size of your PSU is the issue. It is possible that the PSU is beginning to die.

A good way to be sure that there is nothing wrong with the graphics card is to test it in another machine. Also, you could test another similar graphics card in your machine to see if it handles that one any better. Keep posting any findings and I will let you know if I can think of anything else. :)

Back
Top Bottom