i broke my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean W.

Fully Optimized
hey guys,

just so we start on the right foot, im on my old computer right now because my sig rig is indeed broken.

i saw this experiment someone did with their H50 where they put the radiator in a bucket of ice water and i thought it would be a good idea to do it.

so i did.......

everything was going great, i had a idle temp of 10° and a max load temp of 23°. then i overclocked my 965 to 4ghz @ 1.55 voltage, it booted and passed a LinX test so i was like, lets try to go higher!

so i tried 4.2ghz @ 1.587, this is where i ran into a problem, i couldn't get it to boot, so i figured oh well, it wont go that high, so i went back down to 4ghz, wouldn't boot, went down to 3.8, wouldn't boot, went to stock 3.6(?) wouldn't boot.

so i said fine, i went to start up repair thinking nothing of it and it still wouldn't boot.

went into the bios to check if i missed anything - nope, tried to start, wouldn't boot.

so i said fine, maybe i kinda did something seriously bad, i thought maybe i fried my processor - nooooo, cause its getting to the starting windows screen but crashes after that, so its not the processor...

so i booted to ubuntu and everything checked out fine...

hmmmm... so i tried repairing the operating system with the windows CD, went through the procedure, wouldn't boot.

so i ran a whole bunch of tests from the bios, everything checked out okay, mobo, ram, cpu, hard drive, disk drive, everything passed the tests.

only thing i didn't try was reinstalling windows, but i don't want to do that because i have over 400 gigs of movies and TV shoes... so i packed everything up, plugged in this old computer and im calling it a night....

any suggestions?

I would start testing the components you can. Like using your boot disk on your other pc to make sure windows isn't boned. If that fails try other parts in other combinations.

Sounds like you corrupted a major operating system file.

You also have to be careful about condensation when you submerge the radiator in ice water.

This is why you should keep your files at least on a separate partition and back them up regularly. Anyway, if you're able to boot ubuntu then you should be able to recover them as long as you haven't messed up your entire file system (in which case you'll have to try recovery software).

There's also lots of testing tools out there available for free. Look up boot cd, or boot tools, etc. They run extensive hardware tests that sometimes take hours to complete. That may narrow down your problem. Could be a coincidence that you were over clocking when this occurred. Hope so.
Anyway, dont pay for the testing stuff, it's out there for free.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom