I am burdened with a unique problem - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,279
Default Re: I am burdened with a unique problem

Could try a UPS on the screens. That would see if it's an electrical issue or not.
__________________

__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
WnZCheranna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 13
Exclamation Re: I am burdened with a unique problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Could try a UPS on the screens. That would see if it's an electrical issue or not.
Gonna need some clarity on that. You're saying there's a power pack I could buy to run the monitors separately? Wouldn't it still have to plug into the wall though?
__________________

WnZCheranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,506
Default Re: I am burdened with a unique problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by WnZCheranna View Post
Gonna need some clarity on that. You're saying there's a power pack I could buy to run the monitors separately? Wouldn't it still have to plug into the wall though?
A UPS is an Uninterrupted Power Supply, i.e. a battery backup.

If you get a good UPS, they also have power filters in them, which would give your components "clean" power rather than "dirty" power (power that's distorted from interference). Yes, it would still plug into your wall, but it will try and clean up the power it receives from your outlets before delivering it to your components.
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,279
Default Re: I am burdened with a unique problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by WnZCheranna View Post
Gonna need some clarity on that. You're saying there's a power pack I could buy to run the monitors separately? Wouldn't it still have to plug into the wall though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
A UPS is an Uninterrupted Power Supply, i.e. a battery backup.

If you get a good UPS, they also have power filters in them, which would give your components "clean" power rather than "dirty" power (power that's distorted from interference). Yes, it would still plug into your wall, but it will try and clean up the power it receives from your outlets before delivering it to your components.
This. You could also get a cheap one and the battery should last long enough to boot your PC and see if your power is really an issue. That way there it's not much out of pocket and you can return it. On the LCD of course, because the CRT's are power monsters.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
WnZCheranna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 13
Question Re: I am burdened with a unique problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
This. You could also get a cheap one and the battery should last long enough to boot your PC and see if your power is really an issue. That way there it's not much out of pocket and you can return it. On the LCD of course, because the CRT's are power monsters.
So how much online time could I get out of a good UPS? Like 2 or 3 hours?
WnZCheranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,279
Default Re: I am burdened with a unique problem

It really depends on which one you purchase and how much juice your LCD panel sucks. I would just buy a cheap one that you can test with and return. If the monitor works fine with clean power then I would video your test results and contact an electrician or whoever to get your power sorted.

And to clarify, I'm suggesting getting a UPS to run your lowest power draining LCD monitor on battery power only to test and see if it's power causing issues.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
WnZCheranna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 13
Question Re: I am burdened with a unique problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
It really depends on which one you purchase and how much juice your LCD panel sucks. I would just buy a cheap one that you can test with and return. If the monitor works fine with clean power then I would video your test results and contact an electrician or whoever to get your power sorted.

And to clarify, I'm suggesting getting a UPS to run your lowest power draining LCD monitor on battery power only to test and see if it's power causing issues.

Is there any device I could buy that would run on normal power, but would filter the electricity first before it enters my apartment? Thus turning it into the aforementioned clean power? That way I could use it for my PC's, and tv's? I've already had the building electricians out here and they've said nothing is wrong in our apartment with the wiring or downstairs with the circuit breaker. Could this possibly be an external issue outside of our building? Like area related?

We have construction on a new rec center happening across the street from the building that sits on the left side of our apartment building.
WnZCheranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,506
Default Re: I am burdened with a unique problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by WnZCheranna View Post
Is there any device I could buy that would run on normal power, but would filter the electricity first before it enters my apartment? Thus turning it into the aforementioned clean power? That way I could use it for my PC's, and tv's? I've already had the building electricians out here and they've said nothing is wrong in our apartment with the wiring or downstairs with the circuit breaker. Could this possibly be an external issue outside of our building? Like area related?

We have construction on a new rec center happening across the street from the building that sits on the left side of our apartment building.
Doing what PP would either confirm or deny the suspicion that it's caused by dirty power. Buy a cheap UPS, charge it up via your outlets, unplug it, plug your devices into it, and run them off of the batteries. If you still get the warping/distortion, then you know it's a power issue. If it is a power issue, then you can try getting a higher-end UPS with a good power filter in it to see if it cleans up the incoming power.
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,279
Default Re: I am burdened with a unique problem

Not to my knowledge, but you were saying previously your voltage was a bit high when they came last? Deviance from 110 could cause issues up or down. The UPS is just a quick test to see if power would be an issue. Not saying to drop hard cash on a solution because we don't know what issue is yet exactly. But running your lowest wattage monitor on a battery to see if the issue is resolved or not would take care of that. If the monitor runs fine on the battery then it would be your power. If the monitor doesn't run fine it would be another issue. When done testing pack it back in the box and return it.

Do any of your neighbors have the same issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Doing what PP would either confirm or deny the suspicion that it's caused by dirty power. Buy a cheap UPS, charge it up via your outlets, unplug it, plug your devices into it, and run them off of the batteries. If you still get the warping/distortion, then you know it's a power issue. If it is a power issue, then you can try getting a higher-end UPS with a good power filter in it to see if it cleans up the incoming power.
If it's power then he can prove the over voltage is damaging his electronics and demand it be fixed by an electrician or the apartments.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
WnZCheranna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 13
Exclamation Re: I am burdened with a unique problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Doing what PP would either confirm or deny the suspicion that it's caused by dirty power. Buy a cheap UPS, charge it up via your outlets, unplug it, plug your devices into it, and run them off of the batteries. If you still get the warping/distortion, then you know it's a power issue. If it is a power issue, then you can try getting a higher-end UPS with a good power filter in it to see if it cleans up the incoming power.
Ok, well thanks for at least some new ideas lol. Everyone else I've talked to has given me the usual answer. i.e. check your equipment, blah blah. Like I haven't done that at least 30 times already.
__________________

WnZCheranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
computer, hdtv, personal computer, television

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unique problem that I cannot figure out... JoshSB Laptops and Notebooks 1 11-14-2011 03:31 PM
Unique Question needs a unique Answer ! MrWiggle Viruses, Spyware and Malware 12 07-24-2007 02:45 PM
A unique problem in need of a unique solution Shuk Microsoft Windows and Software 5 02-12-2007 08:54 AM
Unique Audio Problem... Anyone have any clue? HAVOC Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 1 09-03-2005 12:58 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.