Hyper 212 Plus heat sink and clicking fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Hello all, I just did a new build using a Hyper 212 Cooler Master heat sink, temps are great but a week after running the build the fan started making clicking noise. It sounded more like a failing hard disk, like popping, but after removing the fan and spinning it with my fingers it is definitely the heat sink fan. The thing is, it has a 4 pin connector to the motherboard and I have about 5 extra 120mm fans that are all 3 pin. The sound is driving me nuts and it is likely a bearing and the fan will eventually die. So my question is can I use a standard 120mm fan and just power it from one of the motherboard 3 pin connectors? Or do I need to get a 4-pin replacement fan ordered ASAP. Temps are under 38c almost all the time. Fan speed is running at around 2500rpm.

Any help or tips appreciated.

Be cautious of the current the fan draws, too much and you will pop the circuit on the motherboard. Look in your motherboard manual to see if you can use a 3 pin fan, the 4 pin is for PWM fans. But, 3 pin connections normally work fine as long as the board can supply the power to the fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom