Huh, I think my PSU is dead. Can anyone confirm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kutan

Solid State Member
So, uh... computer went completely dead on me while playing Crysis. Upon trying to turn it on again, I get an odd little "fweep" sound, the power light flickers on for a split second, and that's it. No fans come on, nothing. Cycling the power supply and pressing power on the mobo/case gives me the same effect.

I tried using a multimeter on a molex (5 volt rail), and when I power on the power supply, I get 5 volts for the same split second the power light comes on.

I removed the power supply, tried jumpstarting it, and the "fweep" indeed comes from the power supply.

It's a 600W ocz stealthxstream. I'm using a 2.8ghz core 2 duo and a radeon 4850, so I don't think it's inadequate. Is it safe to say the PSU's dead? If the motherboard was dead, would I have similar symptoms? This is my first PC I've had to troubleshoot like this, so I'd like a second opinion.

I've only been using the PSU for 2 days. I haven't cut out the UPC for the rebate, so I can return it. I figured I might as well ask you folks first before I hit the sack for tonight.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond. :happy:

You should plug in the leads after the unit is on, not while powering on. But yes, it sounds like it is the PSU. You could try another one, albeit older of course as yours in brand new. Do you have another one available already ? You obviously have a warranty, so then you know you can get your $ back and buy another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom