HP Pavilion power/speaker trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stelly77

Beta member
Background info: HP Pavilion DV6000, Vista 32. I recently did a re flow on my GPU to solve the whole black screen of death thing. I used the oven technique (I know I know, amateur at best). But it worked, kinda. And my wireless came back for the first time in 2 years.

Now I'm having 2 problems. I can only keep it running for about 5 minutes before it shuts off. I believe it is a power problem. The blue light on the side comes on when I plug in the power adapter but not in the front. The laptop will only turn on if the front light is on. It seems to randomly work, sometimes after taking out the battery and putting it back in a couple times. When the comp is on, the battery meter shows full and that it is plugged in. I thought there was a loose connection from reassembling the laptop, but it turns off even if never touched.

Problem 2, I accidentally ruined the wire that connects the microphone to the top panel by the power button. Now when the computer is on I hear a helicopter like clicking sound coming from the right speaker. I tried muting and disabling the mic, then muting all the sound, but nothing. I thought I noticed the sound slowing down as I used the computer but could not duplicate it again by running programs I know would slow my computer.

I'm thinking there's correlation between the 2. Possible interference from the adapter? Maybe a short somewhere?
I also removed some tape (some clear, some black) that was on the mother board so it wouldn't ruin when in the oven. Is there tape on the mother board designed to stop interference or a short circuit that I didn't put back in the exact spot?

When you put a board in the oven, you liquify all the solder. There are parts on both sides of the board and any bump could cause them to shift. If you touched the board before it had a chance to cool off parts may have shifted and caused problems. The tape may be used to prevent interference but it shouldn't cause that much of a problem. The light in the front is not an AC adapter light, it is a battery light. It only lights up if the battery is charging. First of all, did you apply thermal paste to the CPU, GPU, and chipset when reassembling? If not, then it's shutting down due to rapid overheating. Take some good thermal paste (I used Arctic Silver 5 on my dv9000 and it is fine) and apply it to all those chips, then firmly attach the heatsink/fan. This will prevent the chips from overheating. On the dv9000 (I think it uses the same motherboard as the 6000) there is a cable that runs from the upper right hand board (where the AC adapter connects) to the main motherboard. Make sure that cable is very firmly connected as it is responsible for charging the PC. Try running it off the battery, once it's on unplug the AC adapter and drain the battery. That way the light in front (indicates battery charging) will come on next time you plug it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom