HP Omnibook xe4100 Laptop, Broken DC Jack, Can the laptop be powered any other way? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question HP Omnibook xe4100 Laptop, Broken DC Jack, Can the laptop be powered any other way?

My HP Omnibook xe4100 laptop has a broken DC Jack socket, i've decided to get another laptop as I want a faster one anyway.

Is there another way this machine can be powered? on the bottom of the unit theres metal contacts? 2 flat round ones and 2 metal clip types set in small square holes. Does anyone know what these are for?

I mostly want a way to power the machine to format the hard drive to clear my data.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re: HP Omnibook xe4100 Laptop, Broken DC Jack, Can the laptop be powered any other wa

On the underside of the Omnibook xe4100 is a port replicator docking port.

The port replicator has an AC power port. I think it's possibe to power the laptop by docking it to the port replicator, and connecting the power adapter to the port. Though I'm not sure. Besides, this is costly and rather pointless since you can't really use the laptop anyway.

If you want to format the hard drive, then you could take it out and put it in another laptop and format it (if the laptop has the same hard drive interface, eg: PATA / SATA). Or you could purchase an external hard drive enclosure for 2.5" hard drives and format it.

If you're not going to use the hard drive again, then why not just remove it from the laptop and store it away, or destroy it?

|Desktop PC| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)| |AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6 GHz @ 4.0 GHz OC| |Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO| |Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Super Overclock 1GB| |ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD SATA III HDD| |Kingston HyperX 8GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 05-07-2007, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Smile Re: HP Omnibook xe4100 Laptop, Broken DC Jack, Can the laptop be powered any other wa

Thanks Alvin.C,

I intend to auction the laptop as spares or repair on ebay just wanted to wipe the hard disk for privacy purposes, i.e msn saved login info, favourites etc....

My brother has an IBM thinkpad, maybe my HD will fit his unit and i'll ask him if he can run a format then i'll restore the hd to this hp.
Closed Thread