HP m8277c-b Graphics Card Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

daleallen

Beta member
Will my computer support the new graphics card? HP replaced my original graphics card under warranty about 2 1/2 years ago. Four months ago it failed again (Beeping code indicated a failed graphics card) and my computer repair shop replaced the graphics card with a Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce 8400GS w/512 MB GDDR2. Actual Model Name is GV-N84S-512I Rev 3.0. System worked OK for about 2-3 months but then the monitor would go to a black screen with the nessage that it was going to sleep. This usually woulp happen when playing a game or watching You Tube video, but sometimes just searching the web. My computer repair shop reloaded the graphics driver and said it was OK. Failed second time I played a game at home. Returned tower to shop and got it to fail playing a game at their shop. They have suggested that I do a clean install of Windows 7 but I'm not convinced that is the problem.

I noticed when they installed the new graphics card that they left a black/white connecter hanging in the wind with no place to plug it in. It originated from the motherboard from a connector labeled SRDIF2. Repair shop said it wasn't needed! Could this be my problem? Also, another computer tech said that I may be under powered to support this card even though the specs say a 300 watt power supply is all that is needed. My power supply is a BESTEC Model ATX-300-12Z Rev DDR rated at 300W.

With the problems you have had with the graphics card it may be time to look at other causes (like a low quality,aged Bestec PSU).The PSU could be the cause of the problem. How are the temps for the CPU and GPU? Install HWMonitor to monitor the temps and voltages in Windows.

With the problems you have had with the graphics card it may be time to look at other causes (like a low quality,aged Bestec PSU).The PSU could be the cause of the problem. How are the temps for the CPU and GPU? Install HWMonitor to monitor the temps and voltages in Windows.

I installed HWMonitor and everything is within the specified range. Some values fluxuate up to the Max value or down to the Min value but never out of range.

Since I'm also inclined to believe my problem is PSU related, do you have any recommendations for a higher wattge/amperage PSU then the standard replacement from Bestec?

Also, any thoughts about this black/white connector that is hanging in the wind?

Downloaded HWMonitor and all temps are within range (some at min or max value), however, since my system goes to black screen almost as soon as I try anything heavily graphics oriented I can't say the temps stay within range then. I'm inclined to believe that my power supply is going bad or I'm underpowered and should replace the PSU as the next step. I really don't want to just replace the PSU with the same Bestec PSU. Do you have any recommendations for a more powerful PSU that gives me the more watss/amperage?

Also, do you have any idea what the black/white connecctor the service people left hanging in the breeze is for?

HWMonitor voltages are within range. Inclined to also believe it is a PSU problem, however, I don't want to put the same BESTEC PSU in. Prefer one with more watts and amps. Any suggestions for a PSU that has sufficcient cabling for my PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom