HP Laptop won't underclock

Status
Not open for further replies.

patonb

Golden Master
Title says it all.

HP ZV6170ca
AMD 64 Athlon 3800+

Both properties and CPU-Z both say 2.39Ghz with nothing on. Power Setting is set to Portable/Laptop.

Was kickin down just fine till about 3 days ago, did a HP update, found an update for the AMD processors, did it, and no change.

Done spyware, and virus scans..... Nothing.

Please help...... It gets hot hot hot

patonb said:
...Was kickin down just fine till about 3 days ago...

How d'ya mean?

By underclocking do you mean AMD Cool 'N' Quiet technology?

If so, then this technology doesn't lower the CPU clock when the system overheats. All the technology does is lower the clock according to processer utilisation. So, if you're not using the laptop, or you're running a program which doesn't require 100% of the CPU's processing capacity, then the clock speed of the CPU will drop to save power and as a result of a lower clock speed, reduce heat dissipation.

Thermal throttling is what you're referring to. Lowering the CPU clock speed when the system overheats. I think this is a motherboard chipset & BIOS capability, not a feature of the AMD Athlon XP 64 processor.

Unfortunately, a hot system and low battery life is what you get when you put an non mobile processor (Athlon XP 64 3800+) in a laptop.

What temperature is it at? Go into your BIOS to find out, or download FanSpeed here http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php to find out. Post the temps here.

I mean the Cool n quiet, and i do understand the why and how. It only gets hot cause the CPU is buzzing along at 2.39Ghz, with a CPU usage of 0-3% all day. Where as it use to drop to 449Mhz and such before.

Its as if I have the power setting to "Always On".

thanks

Re:

Hello,

Now i understand :).

Seems like your HP update installed the wrong AMD driver.

Download the correct driver for your CPU here http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html . Next, uninstall your current driver and install the new one.

Also check to make sure you've either selected 'Minimal Power Management' or selected 'Automatic Mode' in the Cool n Quiet tab of Power Options in Control Panel.

Back at this again...... Until the above 1st update, my machine woukld routinely run at 499mhz, 700mhz..... but now it'll only run 1000mhz at the lowest power savings. with the latest driver.
Anyone else notice this with the latest "update" Also, anyone knnow of an older driver is, well just the previous one, so i can be sure its a driver issue.

Thanks y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom