This HP is getting fun - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2015, 09:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: This HP is getting fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
Well I went down the list of things to try short of pulling the MB out (That was my next step) then when searching for a bios I found a problem that seems common for this particular MB.... Sata failure. Anyway I disconnected all sata items and got right into bios and managed to get into the bios with just the HD plugged in and the bios does NOT see the HD attached so the problem is solved but unfortunately unless it's a new MB this guy is coming for it..... Its a hp pavilion p6320y anyway
If this is the case your working with why not just knock out the I/O shield ?
HP Hewlett-Packard Genuine HP Computer Case Model #P6320Y

Call the customer and give them the good news and bad news.
Tell them the motherboard has had it and they need a new one.
MSI 760GMA-P34(FX) AM3+ AMD 760G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

Crucial 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CT51264BA160B - Newegg.com
With cost of the mobo, newer ram, reinstallation, reinstall of windows and settting it up...
If it were me my repair bill to them would be atleast 70.00 bucks.

About total their looking at 125.00 bucks tops, oh sure they may grip the sofa in despair but.... :/

-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Tried using a sata card I had on hand to get this working but it seems when trying to install windows it cant see the HD until it's completely booted up with drivers installed so windows does not find the HD when installing so it's a no go. I was thinking about rockman's suggestion but two issues with that, One is minor but a pain none the less. The plugs for the front panel and start buttons are a all in one plug and the odds of it matching are slim. Could switch the wires around however. The system does already have 8 gigs of DDR3 so no need for more ram but will need a MB with 4 slots. but the next issue is windows. The OEM on it won't install on another system so odds are windows would need to be purchased soit's starting to add up for a old system. I'm going to price a few prebuilt's to see what could be had for there money and see if fixing or getting new would be a better option.

Antec 200 - I7-920 - ASUS P6T - Corsair TX650 it's old but still kicking like a mule
2-EVGA GTX 470 in SLI- ocz vertex 3 SSD 128 gig
Seagate Barracuda 1-TB - OCZ DDR3-1600 12 gigs 3x2
Keeps Me Happy :lol:

If I've been helpful, Please rep me
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
when installing so it's a no go. I was thinking about rockman's suggestion but two issues with that, One is minor but a pain none the less. The plugs for the front panel and start buttons are a all in one plug and the odds of it matching are slim. Could switch the wires around however. The system does already have 8 gigs of DDR3 so no need for more ram but will need a MB with 4 slots. but the next issue is windows. The OEM on it won't install on another system so odds are windows would need to be purchased soit's starting to add up for a old system. I'm going to price a few prebuilt's to see what could be had for there money and see if fixing or getting new would be a better option.
For the case wires look at the bottom of it, if its a 7 pin that will go down on a 8 pin pwr, rst, hdd mobo just go ahead and do it.

Last HP I had was back in 2006, similiar problems to yours but when I used a 3rd party mobo "slot 1 intel" it booted up no problems.
I don't think you'll need to edit the wire, but if so go ahead and make good on your promise.
-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:43 AM   #14 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I used this card:
SYBA SY-PEX40039 Controller Card - Newegg.com
(On sale till 2/9/15 for $9.57 & free ship With Promo Code EMCANAP65)

It is a bootable card. Not sure what kind of sata card you tried to use.
You can get an exact replacement HP board (Pegatron M2N78-LA (Violet6-GL8E) from eBay or amazon, but it'll cost over $100. and it still might have the same problem later on as the board your replacing.
You might be able to get away with replacing the board with another board with the same chipset....sometimes it'll work and then again, maybe not and you'll need to re-install windows.
The front panel header shouldn't be much of a problem, there are little tabs on the block that the front leds and power button connect to. You can open this tiny tab with a dental pick and the wire will come out easily. You can then add/remove wires to the proper location on that block. Do not bend the tab more than you have to because it can and will break off.
Just take the front cover off the case and see what wire color combinations go to each led and which ones go to the power switch, you can figure what goes where from there

Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote